Tears

"I'm so sorry I wasn't there to help, I'm glad you're okay though" I told Link as he climbed up onto his horse.

Link smiled sadly down to me, holding out a hand to pull me up onto the horse. Smiling in return I gladly accepted his hand, climbing atop the horse.

"I've got so much to tell you" I muttered as I rested my head on Link's shoulder with a blush. It'd been a while since we had been this close, but it felt good. It felt so right.

"Let's head to Kakariko Village Link... and um, I do suppose we haven't met before have we?" Zelda spoke, looking up to me.

"She doesn't know yet" I noted.

"I'm Aether, I'm a uh... childhood friend of Link..." I muttered with a slight blush crawling onto my face. "I guess I should also mention I can help if a calamity were to happen again" With a flick of malice to the ground I created a small harmless chuchu beside Zelda causing her eyes to widen.

"I can control them... and I think we share another 'power'" I told Zelda, blasting the poor harmless chuchu into dust with a small light beam.

My smile disappeared as I turned around to face Link, he looked like he had seen a ghost.

"I'll explain later" I muttered to him. He deserved a full explanation for my sudden disappearance and gained power, but it couldn't be explained infront of Zelda... not yet.

"Are we... related?" Zelda questioned, causing me to turn back and smile softly.

"Quite distantly".

The trip to Kakariko Village seemed so short, with the three of us sharing stories of our travels, the battle against the calamity, and well... life.

"Princess Zelda?!" A feminine voice shouted from across the village.

"Paya, we need to talk to Impa" I shouted back, excited to see an old friend.

Paya waved us towards the old building. Link nodded, signalling for us to go ahead. Understanding his need for some peace and quiet, I walked alongside Zelda into the building.

"Princess Zelda and Aether" Paya announced, kneeling down to honor the princess.

"The war is over, Hyrule is at peace once again" Zelda spoke, letting out a breath. It seemed we all needed a good rest.

"That's wonderful, we will celebrate tonight, the whole village. Tomorrow we spread the word to the rest of Hyrule. You both have done well" Impa spoke.

"Link isn't going to like the celebration, he isn't one for large celebrations" Zelda spoke as we exited the building, walking down the stairs.

"Him and me both" I muttered, reminded of the celebration of the past in Gerudo Town.

As I stepped onto the grass I noticed Link sat next to his horse, apple in hand as he pet the gentle creature.

"I'll catch up with you later" I told Zelda as I walked towards the lone boy and his horse.

"I'm exhausted, sorry" Link signed, my sign language was a bit rusty, but it wasn't a new concept. Link used to mostly communicate that way when we were kids.

"Don't apologize, you just battled the calamity itself" I signed in return, trying my best to remember how to. It was kinda nice to take a break from using my voice sometimes, it was peaceful, Link felt that way too.

Link patted the grass beside him, I gladly sat down next to the boy.

"Thank you".

"For what?" I signed, confused as to why he would be thanking me.

"For coming back" He finished, leaning his head onto my shoulder. I smiled softly to myself, simply enjoying the moment.

"I'll always be there for you, don't worry".

As a gentle breeze blew past us, I rested my head against his, closing my eyes. It was nice to have a break from all the action. It was nice to be back with him; back with Link.

It seemed we had fallen asleep because the next time I had opened my eyes, the sun had set. Link still leaned against me, his breathing soft as he slept, I tried to stay still as to not wake him.

"Wake up sleepyheads! The celebration is about to start!" Zelda spoke, jolting Link awake.

"Alright" I yawned, stretching my sore arms.

"You okay?" I asked Link, who nodded in response with a slight smile.

"LET HYRULE FOREVER BASK IN THIS NEW ERA OF PEACE!" A soldier shouted from afar. As Link, Zelda, and I all walked towards the center of the village, we noticed the soldier was in fact standing on a table, drink in hand. A chorus of cheering was heard through the village.

"I'm gonna grab some food and stuff then wanna go for a walk? I don't really feel like socializing too much" I asked Link, pointing at the table of food and beverages. Link nodded, leading the way to the table.

Reaching for a glass, my hand was quickly swatted away, "Adults older than 21 only for this drink, water is on the other side".

"Give them a break, they're older than me" I heard Impa tell the lady guarding the drinks.

"Uh..."

"It's a long story" I muttered, unsure of how to explain my true birthday being thousands of years ago.

"Just take some and go".

With a cup of mystery drink and a plate of food, I followed Link away from the crowd and up a hill. On the hill's peak, you could see most of the town. Link sat down in the grassy area, placing his plate down beside him.

As we sat on the hill, I was the first to break the silence, "I guess I owe you an explanation" I started, taking a bite of the delicious fruit on my plate. "I got sent back in time to Hyrule's founding... I know it sounds kinda crazy but, I don't think the battle with Ganon is over. Zelda, she was there too... but as far as I know right now she isn't aware so it must happen in the future... I know I sound crazy but-"

Link cut me off by pressing his lips against mine. Taken aback from the sudden gesture, I felt a blush spread across my face, nonetheless I returned the kiss.

Link's hand moved to cup my face as I felt hot tears mix in with the kiss. Immediately stopping the kiss, I pulled him into a loving hug.

No words were said as he cried into my arms, rubbing his back as I held him.

"Please don't leave me again" Link muttered, his voice breaking, "I thought I'd lost you".

Now feeling my own eyes water, I gripped him tighter, almost as if my life depended on it, "I promise I won't, Link... you mean the world to me" I whispered as a tear ran down my cheek.

Pulling away from the hug, I wiped the tears off of his cheek, cupping his face sweetly as I looked into his beautiful blue eyes.

Slowly I moved in and closed the gap between us, pressing my lips against his.

In that moment I was sure of one thing; I truly loved him.