Hypothermic Heat

"Sav'otta, did you sleep well?"

Rubbing my eyes, I sat up on the Inn bed.

"Yes, thank you" I mumbled, still waking up.

"Gerudo Town should now be open again to visitors, if that was where you were headed. I advise you bring some hydromelon this time, so you do not pass out in the sun." The Inn owner told me.

"Yes, thank you."

Putting my boots back on, I ventured back out to the oasis, spotting a vendor selling well-needed goods.

The wind of the hot dessert blew sand through my legs as I walked out of the Inn and towards the vendor. The sweet smell of hydromelon and voltfruit swirled into my senses, causing my mouth to water, boy I was hungry.

"One hydromelon please" I told the vendor, grabbing rupees from my pocket.

"Two rupee" the vendor said, her accent thick.

"Oh, alright" I handed the rupees over to the vendor, grabbing the hyromelon in return.

As I started to walk towards Gerudo Town, I broke open the hydromelon, taking a big bite. As the sweet watery taste slid down my throat I felt my body immediately cool down from the hot morning sun. I'll never know how that works.

I soon neared Gerudo town, my melon completely gone. I sighed as I stepped up to the main entrance. It'd been a while since I visited, and... alot.. had changed since then.

"No voe allowed in the Town!" The guards spoke, as the metal cling of their spears crossing echoed.

I smiled, a warm feeling in my chest.

"Did that vai attack?" Another Gerudo questioned.

"It's a voe!"

"No, that poor vai, let the vai in."

"Uh, I'm not really... how that work here? It's been a while since I've visited" I spoke, avoiding eye contact.

"Not vai, not voe, but vyu... it is said that vyu are sent by the goddesses to aid us with wisdom of the world".

"Let them in" a deep voice boomed from behind the gathering Gerudo.

"Yes King Ganondorf!" The gerudo spoke in sync, moving out of the way to reveal a tall Gerudo man.

My mind was puzzled as I observed the King in front of me. Link had mentioned that their current leader had been a young vai, Riju. But this, this was nothing like that, nothing like the tall man in front of me. His deep red hair reminded me of a past gone too soon, and his fine jewelry simply accented the crimson.

Almost forgetting to, I knelt down to pay my respects to the king.

"No need for that, your soul was a gift from the goddesses, we are happy to welcome you" the king spoke with a smile, putting his large hand onto my shoulder.

"Let us celebrate! This Vyu is a sign from the goddess, we will win our upcoming battle!" King Ganondorf exclaimed, raising his fist in the air. The Gerudo yelled out a war cry of celebration in response.

"I dunno what's so important about me being different like that, but I'll definitely take it over the hate" I thought to myself as I followed the King further into the town.

. . .

Later that night, I found myself all dressed up in a Gerudo outfit, getting ready for a celebration.

"Are you ready, young vyu?" The gerudo who fit the outfit to me asked from outside the door.

"Yes, just finishing up" I responded, putting on a pair of earrings had previously been picked out. The necklace that Lilith had gifted me fit perfectly with the outfit, almost seeming that it was meant for this kind of outfit.

Stepping out of the back room of the store, the Gerudo lady gasped as I exited, "Was your vaba from here? Your hair is just so beautiful, it's as crimson as the King's and as flowy as the Monarch's. You really are something, vyu". I smiled.

The shop owner helped me out the shop and into the fairy-light lit night in Gerudo town.

Everyone had dressed up for the occasion. Food tables lined the middle of town, loaded with everything from hydromelon to prime meat. It smelled delicious.

As I entered the main area of the town, an instrument sounded, signaling the arrival of the King.

"King Ganondorf and Monarch Lilith!" The Gerudo Guard announced. Everyone, including me, knelt down in respect.... Lilith...

King Ganondorf walked over to his big chair at the table, the Monarch soon followed, dressed in a full coverage dress, with a thin black net-like fabric covering their face. I watched the fabric flow as they moved behind the king, but what really caught my eye was how they were not walking. Their delicate dress hung below their feet as they hovered like some kind of supernatural goddess.

"Is the Monarch levitating?" I mumbled to the Gerudo beside me.

"Yes, I'm still not used to it... though they only wed yesterday" She told me.

Another Gerudo couldn't help but join the conversation, "I'm very surprised that they had this celebration tonight, from what I heard, their wedding was huge in terms of cost".

Before I could even put anything on my plate, one of the servants tapped my shoulder, "Aether, King Ganondorf has requested your presence".

"Okay, thank you" I smiled at her as I got up. I got a mix of smiles and frowns from other Gerudo as I walked towards the King and Monarch's table. It seemed the majority was still teetering on my presence... which honestly was kinda fair, they had this random celebration for some stranger... thinking about it like that, it was kinda weird...

"You requested me?" I asked when I finally approached the King.

"Come sit with us," Monarch Lilith told me, "and don't mind some of the Gerudo people, with the new kingdom forming, the wars have put quite a strain on our education system. I have yet to be accepted by all, as I am also a vyu".

"Pardon my question, Monarch, King, but are you one of the goddesses?" I asked Monarch Lilith, starting to piece together the puzzle.

"Why yes. And I presume you have some kind of connection, I can feel it's presence" the Monarch pulled back the fabric infront of her face, revealing what I had suspected.

"Being a Vyu wasn't the only reason I let you into Gerudo Town, I can sense a power similar to mine.. and we could use that" King Ganondorf explained.

I smiled, the feeling of being needed was fulfilling to say the least.