Nothing Lasts

On the cold desert morning of the attack, I woke to a harsh poke to my side. My eyes quickly opened when I realized said object that poked me was from the blunt end of a guard's spear.

"Sa... Sav'otta.." My speech stumbled, "Can I help you?"

"The King requires your presence immediately" the guard informed me as I sat up on my inn bed.

"Oh, alright. Sarqso" thanking the guard as she left, I hopped out of the bed and quickly made myself look presentable.

It was strange to me how much of a liking the King had taken, as I didn't feel that important to begin with. A silly 'power' shouldn't define you, right?

Shaking my the thoughts out of my head, I exited the Inn and made my way towards the King's quarters.

"Aether, good to see you are ready. You will come with the army and I to today's battle" King Ganondorf told me.

"Me? Are you sure?" I asked, confused as to why he would want my 'weak ass' to come with him.

"Yes. I've been training you" He said plainly.

"Well fuck..." I mumbled quietly under my breath.

. . .

Later in the day, I was on my way to the attack spot with the army, following closely behind the king.

As we slowed our pace, I looked around the mountainous landscape, taking in the details.

"In position!" The head of the army shouted, causing my body to surge with anxiety.

Silent. Everything was silent. The only thing to be heard was the hot sandy breeze of the Gerudo desert.

The king closed his eyes as I stood to his right, below the rock he was on. He smiled, taking in a breath, muttering something I couldn't quite hear.

Rasing his hand, the king signaled the start of the attack. The head of the gerudo army raised up an instrument, officially sounding what the king had started.

The ground rumbled, spreading dirt clouds across the valley, as multiple molduga rose up from the ground.

A feminine voice echoed some way in the distance, catching my attention.

I scrambled to spread word as soon as I saw the opposing army, "Shit, look! They knew, they knew we were-"

"I WILL win" King Ganondorf interrupted. Looking up, I realized just how pissed off he was.

My hands shook as the fight continued, it seemed like time had slowed down. My thoughts were racing with anger and confusion.

I had trained for this, so why... why couldn't I help?

I couldn't move, my body was frozen in place.

"Just fucking work!" I yelled at my hands, the weight of the King's disappointment was crushing.

"I need to help" I panicked, tears starting to fall from my face.

"I need to, for Link!!" I shouted, causing a deep crimson flash and a loud boom.

The surrounding members of the gerudo army knelt down in pain, the small tufts of grass in the sand were shriveled and burnt a deep black.

"Oh shit..." I mumbled, watching a few birds drop dead from above in the sky. Turning back I realized that the king himself was down in pain... I was the only one left standing.