twenty: team nathan

solar clarke's pov:

I contemplated whether I should get up and go home, because I had no idea what I was still doing there. Of course I wanted to use every opportunity to hang out with Nathan, but I couldn't really say the same about Nicholas. Fortunately I was saved from having to make that decision when the front door opened and someone rushed in.

"What happened to your face?" The boy I instantly recognized as Jonathan, was smaller than I had imagined him to be. He was a lot shorter than his brothers and even though he was on the rounder side his build was somehow tinier than the boys his age usually had. 

"I fell." Nathan explained and sat up straighter, smiling reassuringly at his visibly upset brother.

"To your face?"

"Yes." Nathan reassured and ruffled Jonathan's fair hair. "You know how clumsy I am. Where are mom and dad?"

"Talking to a neighbour." Jonathan's gaze landed on the front door just as it opened again and someone walked in.

The man was just as tall and bald as he had looked from afar that one night. He had these sort of rough looking facial features, but his smile was kind. Although the smile was wiped off his face as soon as his eyes landed on Nathan's jaw. 

"What's going —" The tiny brown haired woman asked when the man stopped walking abruptly and she stumbled on his back. "What happened to your face?"

Should I maybe fast forward a little? Maybe I shouldn't, but I'm going to do it anyway. There was a lot of debating whether it was possible to get a bruise on your lip and jaw by falling on your face. Then there was another discussion where the parents tried to make Nathan admit if he was being bullied. And then they noticed me.

"Oh, hi." Was all the petite woman, whose eyes looked so much like Nicholas and Nathan's that I couldn't help but stare, said at first. "A friend of Nicholas?"

"No, Nathan's actually." I gave her one of my signature smiles and held out my hand. "I'm Solar. Nice to meet you."

"You're Nathan's friend?" I wasn't sure if I was keen on the surprised tone she used, but I guess it just meant Nathan didn't bring that many friends to meet them.

"Are you staying for dinner?" The man, Jeffrey, joined the conversation and instead of shaking my hand he patted my shoulder. Then, before I had time to decline the offer, he talked again: "Do you like chili?"

"I love it." I just grinned goofily.

"Then you really are team Nathan." Jeffrey pointed out and disappeared in the kitchen. Well, he got that one right. 

Although, I soon found out that meant Nicholas and their mom, Camille, weren't fans of spicy food and Nathan and Jeffrey were. So Jeffrey was making two dinners for us, which was apparently a normal occasion in the household.

While he cooked, I sat in the living room with Nathan, Nicholas and Jonathan. Their mom was helping in the kitchen, but I got a feeling it was more because she wanted to give us some space. 

Nathan was whispering with Jonathan. Their tones were excited and Jonathan was nodding while talking about something I didn't understand the first thing about. There was something endearing about the duo and how close they were. I only turned my gaze away from them when I heard Nicholas clearing his throat.

"I, uh.." He looked like he had to force the words out of his mouth, or like he was having verbal constipation. "Thanks."

"For what?" I have to admit I was probably enjoying the moment a little more than I should have. But seriously though, it wasn't like you were going to be thanked by the false god Nicholas every day.

"For helping him out." Nicholas was gritting his teeth, clearly annoyed by my amusement.

"Anytime." 

"But don't think for a second that this makes us friends." Nicholas frowned, looking away defiantly. Oh well, it was a start at least.

°°°°

During my dinner with the Dawson family I found out two things. The first one was that Jeffrey was an excellent cook and the spicy Hunan chicken with rice was mind-blowing. For real, it was the best meal I've had in years and it was totally worth the awkward-ish atmosphere.

The second thing was that the Dawson family was quite something. Jonathan wouldn't stop talking even for a second and he got a major tantrum in the middle of the dinner, but luckily Nathan was able to calm him down before things got out of hand. Jeffrey was big on soccer and insisted on talking about it even though no one else seemed to understand the first thing about it. 

Nathan had his hands tied with Jonathan, but he sometimes smiled at me apologetically. It was almost like he wanted to say he was sorry I had to stay for dinner, which was certainly not required. After all, I was having one of the best meals in my life and I actually enjoyed being surrounded by a family — even if it wasn't mine. Okay, well, Nicholas sulking next to me did bother me a bit, but otherwise I was having fun.

"How do you like Frostford High so far?" Camille had found out I was new in town and it gave us something to talk about.

"It's okay. I mean, the Varsity team is better than in my old school and we get to read more in our English classes." I decided not to mention how I hated to see one of her sons being worshiped by everyone or how fake the majority of our fellow students were.

"You're in the team as well?" Camille nodded at me approvingly. "And you like reading? Oh, how I wish you could give some of that enthusiasm to Nathan as well. He still has barely started reading that book from Dostoevsky —"

"Mom." Nathan scolded her. I watched how his cheeks reddened and how he started biting his lower lip. 

"There's still a lot of time for that." I reassured quickly to show Nathan there was nothing to be ashamed of, but the truth was that there wasn't much time left. Luckily Camille bought my words and she let the topic go.

It was already getting late by the time everyone had emptied their plates, but I found myself reluctant to leave. I still had some school work left to do, but I really didn't feel like doing any of that today. 

"Can I see your room?" I grinned gleefully as the idea popped into my mind.

"No way!" Nathan exclaimed first and then slapped his hand over his mouth. "I-I.. It's just, um, really messy up there."

"I think I should get going then." I took that as a hint that it was time for me to leave, and did my best to hide my disappointment. "See you at school?"

"Yeah. See you." Nathan nodded slowly, staying rooted on his spot while I walked into the hallway and shut the front door behind me. I was just about to let out a heavy sigh when I heard the door opening again.

"H-hey, Solar.."