epilogue

nathan dawson's pov:

Starting anew.

Turning over a new leaf in a town where no one knows who I am, what a terrifying and, oh, so exhilarating idea.

When I picked up the last box from my car and started walking across the yard, I toyed with the idea of how easy it would be to make everyone believe I was something entirely different than I was.

My gaze swept over the yard, and I saw students hanging around and making new connections. In one group was a guy, whose dreadlocks were gathered on top of his head in a heavy bundle, making jokes and smirking, when he managed to make the others laugh. A little to his left, under an old tree, a pink haired guy sat alone wearing these huge don't-talk-to-me headphones.

I could make people think I was like that guy with his heavy bundle of dreadlocks, but in all honesty, I was likely going to end up like the other guy. 

Minus the pink hair.

I smiled to myself when I entered the dormitory. The college I got in was nowhere near as fanciful as the university Nicholas and Solar went to, but I had fallen in love with it the moment I saw its picture. The huge yard of green lawn, the old trees and the quarter of ancient buildings filled with history. Even the small town where everyone knew everyone felt like home. I instantly felt like I belonged there.

Obviously I wasn't going to spend my college years trying to be something I wasn't, but I was glad to leave some parts of me and my history behind. I wasn't going to tell everyone my dad was a recovering drug addict or even that I had an identical twin. I had had my fair share of being the shy twin of the golden boy, and this time I was going to be just Nathan Dawson. Whatever that meant.

The dorm was tiny, barely having room for two beds, drawers and tables. It had the most cramped bathroom I've ever seen. Yet, foremost, it had a wide arched window with a view to the courtyard.

The other bed was already paved with bags and boxes, and on the wall above the bed were posters from bands such as The Clash, Ramones and Green Day. I didn't have much with me, so I wasn't sure how I would decorate my side of the room to mirror my personality. It was probably going to be messy in no time, though, so I guess that would tell something essential about me.

I knew I was never going to get the unpacking done if I didn't do it right away, so I started doing that. I was right about done with the clothes when my phone rang. I cleared some room on the bed and slumped to lie on my back while accepting the call.

"I miss you." Solar's smiling face appeared on the screen and I couldn't help but smile back at his words.

"I just saw you this morning, drama queen." I scolded Solar, but the smile on his lips only grew wider.

"It's been hours." Solar rationalized and he too laid down on his bed. I missed him just as much, but I wasn't planning on admitting it. A mischievous glint appeared in Solar's eyes, when he said: "I should sneak into your dorm tonight."

"Don't tempt me." I grinned at him. "I'll see you this weekend and until then we can call and text all we want."

"I knooow." Solar sighed, making a face. When he was done pouting, he asked: "So, how was your first day in the dorm?"

"Well, based on the fact I've only been here for a couple of hours.. I love this place." Other than missing Solar and Blueberry, I was looking forward to living in the dormitory and even the beginning of classes. Which is, by far, the first and only time something so unfathomable has happened in my life. "How about you? How's the uni?"