forty-one: karma is a bitch

nathan dawson's pov:

I was sitting on the couch cross-legged, listening to Jonathan rambling about some game he and his new friends had invented. To be honest, I didn't understand the first thing from his explanations, but I could tell that talking about it made him happy. He was blurting out the words so fast they sometimes stumbled together and I even had to tell him to stop to breathe once.

My chemistry book and notebook lay forgotten on my lap, because I didn't have the heart to tell Jonathan I was busy.

He is such a happy kid: he smiles and laughs all the time, and one can't help feeling joyous around him. Sometimes he got upset over seemingly puny things, but even after a major tantrum, it didn't take long until he was back to his sunny self. So yeah, I rather listened to him talking than finished my homework.

Especially when being around him made me forget my worry over Nicholas. I wasn't just worried though, but pissed off over the way he had been treating me lately. I mean, it was okay to be sad and not have it all together, but you couldn't just take it out on others.

"Are you boys hungry?" Mom's head peeked from the kitchen door. "Jeff is going to be late, so... pizza?" 

"Pizzaaaaa!" Jonathan jumped up from the couch and started listing the toppings, a concentrated expression on his face: "I want pepperoni and extra cheese! And no olives or pineapple." Which was exactly what he always had.

I was starving, but I couldn't find similar excitement in me. I was worried sick about Nicholas and I couldn't stop ruminating about our fight in my mind. It helped to know I wasn't alone in this, when Solar had promised to be there for me, but I still felt like I was about to crawl out of my skin.

"Where's Nicholas?" Mom asked, craning her neck to look around the kitchen, even if it was obvious Nicholas wasn't there.

"I have no idea." I shrugged while scribbling down my order. 

"He's probably at Alex's." Mom pondered, and I spotted a flicker of worry in her eyes. I felt a rush of relievement realizing my parents had also noticed the change in his behaviour and were looking out for him. "Let's order for him too, he can heat it up when he decides to show up."

I won't go into details, but let's just say that Jonathan created a massive, not overly appealing assortment of toppings for Nicholas. I decided to let that slip, even though I knew Nicholas wouldn't appreciate that much creativity, because he deserved a pay-back for being a jerk. Karma is a bitch.. or a horrifying creature of a pizza.

°°°

It was past midnight when I heard the front door creaking open upstairs and I heard Nicholas talking with mom and Jeffrey with hushed voices. I was already laying in my bed, staring at the ceiling and about ready to push Nicholas out of the window if he came up and said even one wrong thing to me.

That's when my phone buzzed on the night table, the screen lighting up. I picked it up to read the message.

Lava: I told you to stop complaining all the time, but I didn't mean you had to go all silent on us. :/ Are u ok?

Hearing from her made me feel tenfold better. I wanted to answer her right away, but decided it was better to wait till morning. I had already typed a long apology for them, but never had the courage to send it. I'd do that in the morning. Not now that I could hear Nicholas climbing up the stairs.

And yes, I could tell it was him from the way he walked. I guess that's just something that happens when you live with someone long enough: you learn to recognize the sound of their footsteps. 

Nicholas opened the door and slumped to lay face-down on his bed. When I sat up on my bed, it let out a creek and Blueberry jumped to the floor, startled by the abrupt interruption of his sleep.

"Where have you been?"

"Sorry, I hurt you." Nicholas' answer was muffled by the pillow.

"That's n-not what I asked." I crossed my arms on my chest. Nicholas just groaned, refusing to say anything more. I waited for his answer until I could hear him snoring, witch didn't even take long. 

"I hate you." I hissed and threw a pillow at his back, but he didn't even shift in his sleep. I was starting to think I would never get the answer out of him.

°°°°

It was the weekend, and not having to wake up early for school was everything I could possibly have asked for that morning. I rolled around in my bed, trying to get up, but always ended up closing my eyes "for just a minute". So, when I finally managed to sit up, it was already past noon. 

Nicholas wasn't in our room, but I could hear clamor from downstairs. Jeffrey was washing dishes, while having a hushed conversation with mom. I rubbed my eyes while dragging myself in the bathroom to brush my teeth and rip off the bandages from my itching hand.

I found Nicholas and Jonathan from the living room, watching some animation. Nicholas was munching cereals straight from the box and smiling at Jonathan, barely acknowledging me in any way.

I was too tired to continue our last night's conversation anyway. Instead I sat down on the opposite corner of the couch and picked up my phone. If I couldn't fix things with my brother, I could try to do so with my friends.

nathan: i'm not big on words, i complain more than i should and all in all i'm just not that great of a friend. but i miss you, and i really do care about you. you've listened to my bullshit more than enough — and even just for that you'd deserve some grand gesture. but i'm really not the grand gesture kind of guy. 

nathan: so, instead i'm going to tell you this: i'm sorry. if you still want to be my friends, i'll try to complain less. i can't promise i wouldn't complain at all, because that's like my default setting, but i can promise to listen to you more and focus less on my problems. friendship is a two-way street and all that, so please complain to me all you want! 

nathan: ps. i'm seeing the guy who doesn't completely suck, and i think he's making me a better person. i would like you to meet him one day.

It didn't take long before I got my answer. I felt a tad bad thinking Lava had been waiting for my text after the one she sent me last night.

Lava: Aw, I'm sorry too. From now on you can complain all you want. ;)

Jacob: Don't encourage him! 

Jacob: Just kidding. Complain all you want. Sorry we didn't listen to you when you needed a friend.

nathan: nah, it's fine, i figured it out on my own. i'm just glad you're not angry with me anymore. :)

Lava: Hold on!! You're seeing the guy who doesn't completely suck? I waaaant pictures! Gimme proooof!!

I grinned at my phone, reading the following messages from Lava, which sounded like the news had caused a short circuit in her brain. Jacob took the news in a more level-headed manner, but he too was happy for me.

Then I listened to Jacob complaining about some game that had been sold out for nearly a month and Lava told us about a fantasy novel collection she had become addicted to. I complained a little about Nicholas and Liam and chatted more about Solar and Blueberry. 

It felt so good to have two of my friends back in my life, that I was gaining confidence things would work out with Nicholas as well. I just wasn't sure if it would take weeks, months or even years. From what I was seeing, I dreaded it would take an eternity..