2 | COSTUME

HAVE YOU TAKEN UP BLACKSMITHERY?

[2.06]

It was two days before Halloween and the Bronze was decked out in spooky decorations. After an unexpectedly long slaying in the pumpkin patch, Buffy and Kitty rushed to the club — one had a date and one just didn't want to sit at home.

However, Buffy only took five steps into the Bronze before she spotted Angel sitting at a table with Cordelia. He had a genuine smile on his face — something that very few other than Kitty could earn from him — and was laughing at something that Cordelia was saying.

"That's nice they're getting along," Kitty said, not thinking anything of it.

But jealousy and doubt were already coursing through Buffy's veins as she watched them. To her, it looked like Cordelia was the one to score a date with Angel. Before Kitty could stop her, Buffy turned to leave.

"Where are you going?" Kitty asked with a frown.

Angel noticed Buffy just as she turned and got up from his table. "Buffy?" he called, trying to get her attention. "Buffy!"

Reluctantly, Buffy stopped and turned back around, forcing a smile. "Hi! I'm..."

"Late," he noted. Though he didn't look too mad at her — he did understand how important being a Slayer was.

"Rough day at the office," she mumbled.

"So I see." Angel reached up and pulled out a piece of straw that was in her messy hair. Buffy looked accusingly at Kitty, who had been in charge of de-strawing her after rolling into a few hay bales.

"Hey, it's a look. A seasonal look," Buffy tried to joke so that it'd feel less awkward.

But then to increase the awkwardness, Cordelia walked over with a drink in hand. "Buffy. Love the hair. It just screams street urchin," Cordelia said with a smug smile. "Kit, adorbs as always."

"Thanks," Kitty said, smiling as Cordelia walked off. She really didn't have anything to add other than insulting Buffy and complimenting Kitty.

"Know what? I need to go," Buffy said, her smile dropping, "put a bag over my head."

However, before Buffy could leave, Angel grabbed her arm. "Don't listen to her. Please. You look fine."

"You're sweet. A terrible liar, but sweet," Buffy told him.

"I thought we had—"

"A date," she interrupted.

Though Kitty was bad at picking up on social cues, she could tell she didn't need to be there for this. So, she silently backed away, going unnoticed as she went to sit at the table Angel and Cordelia had previously been at. Angel's cup of soda was still on the table, so Kitty swiped it for her own.