31 | JOYCE

[ zooming through these episodes to get to the real good stuff. and this time, when i say good stuff, i don't mean heartbreaking angst

also, don't act surprised by the last chapter's angst. i put 1 step forward, 3 steps back in the playlist and i meant that from the bottom of my heart ]

♡︎

MORTALITY IS STUPID.

[ 5

[ 5.15 — 5.17 ]

"Kitty, do you wanna try hitting Puffy Xander?" Buffy asked timidly.

Kitty was lying on a bench in the training room, staring at the ceiling as Buffy practiced her punches on Xander. He was wearing a huge padded suit that made him look like Violet Beauregarde — except not blue. Buffy had taken out plenty of her internal anger over not having any healthy relationships and also Spike's so-called feelings for Kitty, but Kitty didn't know about that last one.

"I think you've hit Puffy Xander enough for the both of us," Kitty said in an emotionless tone as she turned her head to look at them.

Kitty hadn't exactly showcased a broad range of emotions since Valentine's Day. She was pretty unenthusiastic about most things, spent a lot of time laying down or sleeping, and avoided talking about Spike at almost times.

"It might make you feel better," Xander told Kitty. "Hitting is always fun."

"I don't like violence," she reminded him before going back to looking at the ceiling.

"You can pretend I'm Spike," he offered with a grin.

But that only caused Kitty's eyes to water. Buffy elbowed Puffy Xander, unable to believe he made such a mistake. "You can pretend he's Drusilla."

That made Kitty think for a moment, a new, jealous spark in her eyes. They watched as she finally got off the bench and came over.

"So, I just... punch?" Kitty asked, scrunching up her eyebrows.

"Not the face, if you please," Xander said. Though a punch from Kitty wouldn't really hurt much. "Give it a go."

After a moment, Kitty formed a small fist and awkwardly thrust it forward, making contact with Xander's big belly. Xander didn't even budge from it.

"You can hit harder than that," Buffy told her, crossing her arms. "Come on. Really. Pretend you've got my Slayer strength and Dru is right in front of you."

Kitty took a deep breath and punched Xander again, this time speaking. "What does he even see in her?" she asked, frowning. Another punch. "I mean, she's fucking insane!"