18 | FIVE BY FIVE

NOT TO THROW IT BACK IN YOUR FACE OR ANYTHING, BUT THAT KINDA SOUNDS LIKE A JINX.

[ 4

[ 4.15 — 4.16 ]

"Think you should connect those two wires."

"And I think that would blow us up."

"You don't know shit, Xander."

"I know a little more about complex military-grade weaponry than you do, Kitty."

"Not much more," Kitty mumbled, crossing her arms to childishly pout.

Kitty and Xander, along with Buffy, Giles, and Willow were all in the basement. At Buffy's request, Xander was taking apart the faulty blaster that Professor Walsh gave her, in hopes to use it against Adam if they could get it working again. Kitty was standing next to Xander and his workbench, giving her input on what to do. She called it 'helping' — he called it 'hindering.'

"Can you repair it?" Buffy asked, cutting off Kitty and Xander's banter.

"Sure. As soon as I get my master's degree in advanced starship technology," Xander muttered, pushing the blaster aside. There was likely no way he could fix it properly.

"Well, why don't we experiment? Press some buttons, see what happens," Willow suggested.

"That's what I was saying. Just connect those two frayed wires — the red and yellow ones," Kitty said, pointing them about. "Maybe something will happen."

"Sounds like your plan is to blow us up," Xander told her, rolling his eyebrows.

"I'd like to veto that," Giles chimed in. He was across the room and sorting all the laundry.

"Second," he said. "It's called a blaster, Kit, Will, a word that tends to discourage experimentation. Now, if it were called the Orgazmater, I'd be the first to try your basic button press approach."

Kitty cringed at the sex joke that she probably would've laughed at had Giles not been in the room.

"Just tell me. Can you repair it or not?" Buffy asked.

"I'm working on it, I'm working on it," he muttered, focusing back on the weapon. "I blow a hole in my mom's azalea patch, then the neighbors will not be pleased."

Kitty slid on top of the workbench and held a flashlight over the blaster so Xander could see better. As they did that, Buffy wandered to the couch and sat with her head in her hands. Giles set the laundry to the side and joined her. "Are you alright?" he asked. "You've been patrolling round the clock for three days straight now. I thought you could use some—"

"What?" she cut him off. "Some rest? There's a Demonoid killing machine out there, Giles. It doesn't only work the night shift."

"I was going to say perhaps you could use some backup, but um, now you mention it, building up your strength may not be a bad idea," he told her.