9 | HARMONY

IT'S GREAT TO SEE YOU, HARM, BUT IF I WERE YOU, I'D TAKE DINNER TO GO.

[4.03]

"I am not enjoying this," Xander declared.

"Well, shelve them correctly and we can finish," Giles instructed.

"I don't get your crazy system," he replied.

From the couch with a mouth full of animal crackers, Kitty responded, "He says he uses the alphabet, but I just saw him put a book that starts with T next to one that starts with D."

"It's their last names that are alphabetically sorted, children," Giles said, sighing.

"Huh," Xander hummed, looking back at the shelves and making the connections. "Would you look at that?"

Nearly a year had passed since that day Spike came to town. Many things had happened such as Oz and Willow getting back together, Angel moving to LA to get away from Buffy, and all of them graduated despite the fact that Faith turned evil and helped the Mayor turn into a giant snake demon and almost destroyed Sunnydale. Buffy's fellow Slayer was in a coma, unlikely to wake up. Buffy and Willow were enrolled in classes at UC Sunnydale and living in a dorm together. Xander was hopping from job to job. And Kitty spent about three days a week working part-time at a small bakery on campus. It gave her running around money and she got to take the leftover blueberry donuts home, which Giles would never complain about.

Now, while Buffy was out with Willow and Oz, Giles enlisted Kitty and Xander's help in sorting all his books. Given that they blew up Sunnydale High, Giles removed all the important books from the library before the big battle. Now, the apartment was full of ancient books that needed shelving — they also needed more shelves in general.

It'd probably help if Kitty actually helped.

"Darling, care to prove that you know your alphabet?" Giles asked, crossing his arms.

"I'm resting, G. I mean, really," she said, sighing heavily while propping her feet on the coffee table. "I work all day on my feet to keep the lights on—"

"You've never worked longer than a four-hour shift," Xander pointed out.

"And they give you a stool at the cash register," Giles added while coming over to nudge Kitty's feet off the table. "And I keep the lights on."

"With what job?" Xander asked, snickering.

"Oh, he's got British family money coming out the wazoo," she informed him. "And yet my bedroom doesn't have a walk-in closet."

"It's to discourage you from buying even more clothes," Giles said, smiling. "No, get up at help, please."

With an overdramatic groan, Killed rolled off the couch and onto the floor before crawling to her feet. While handing her a stack of books, Xander stuck his tongue out at her, glad that he wasn't the only one working anymore.