21 | IN THE CARDS

BUT SPIKE WOULDN'T LIE TO ME.

[ 4.21 ]

Giles' head felt like it was going to split in two when he woke up the next morning. It felt nearly impossible to open his eyes, even with the curtains closed, blocking out the late-morning sunlight. He rolled on his side and squinted at his alarm clock, seeing that he'd slept in a good three hours longer than usual. Then next to the clock was a glass of water, two aspirin, and a pink sticky note.

I hope your hangover makes you want to die. Took Teddy to Willy's bar — ♡︎ Kitty

"Teddy?" Giles questioned. Then he forgot about the note and took the medicine, hoping it'd kick in soon. Given how much he drank all day yesterday, he hardly remembered anything. Though he recalled lots of shouting as everyone's anger came to a boiling point and spilled over.

Despite his wishes to remain in bed, he knew he at least needed to get up and eat something and drink coffee. So, Giles threw on a robe and made his way downstairs. He also stopped by the bathroom and got a cold wet washcloth to hold on his neck.

However, before he could make it to the kitchen, there was a knock at the door that was so loud it made him think he was stuck in Jurassic Park. "Oh, god," he muttered before going to answer the door.

When he opened it, Giles flinched from the sunlight that poured in. Willow and Tara were on the other side of the door. "Hey," Willow greeted, not looking particularly thrilled to be there.

"Hello," Giles said quietly. Then he looked down at his robe and readjusted it so that all of his chest was covered. "Um, oh, uh, pardon the robe. It's a bit of a late start."

"Right," she muttered, remembering his condition from the night before.

"I hope you're feeling all right, Mr. Giles," Tara said politely.

"Oh, yes, quite well, thank you. I'll - I'll probably have a brisk jog later on," he said, clearly lying. "Did you want something?"

Willow nodded to the desk. "I forgot my laptop and the disks."

"Uh, yes, please, please come in," he told her, stepping to the side. He grimaced as Willow gathered her things. "Will you be working here? Uh, typing... talking? Because, um, that will be fine."

"No, that's okay," Willow said, forcing a smile. Giles looked back at Tara, who smile smiled and nodded awkwardly. Then Willow finished up. "Got 'em. So, see ya."

"Right. Yes, well, good luck with - with all that," he said.

"Okay. Bye."

"Bye," Tara said. "And let Kitty and Teddy know I said hi."

"Will do," Giles said, closing the door. "Teddy?"

♡︎

"Now, why do you play for cats?"