26 | TARA

YOU JUST CAUGHT THE MAN YOU'RE IN LOVE WITH FUCKING THE FRIEND YOU'RE MEANT TO GET MATCHING MANSIONS WITH.

[ 5.05 — 5.06 ]

When Buffy wandered into the Magic Box on its big opening day, she was not expecting to be greeted the way she was. For starters, the shop was completely void of customers, which was probably for the best so that no one had to see Giles. He was standing in the center of the store, wearing a flashy, spangled purple robe and matching, pointed warlock's cap, looking like he came straight out of Fantasia. And Kitty was sitting by the cash register, her face red and hand over her mouth as she tried to keep her laughter inside.

Kitty didn't want to laugh because she didn't want him to take it off.

But as Buffy continued to stare Giles down, his fake and cheery smile disappeared before shrugging out of his costume. Kitty sighed and pouted, wishing he'd have worn it all day so she could make fun of him behind his back.

Then Dawn ran into the store, a bit out of breath from trying to keep up with Buffy. "I told you you couldn't ditch me!" she said accusingly. Finally, Dawn looked at the finished store. "Whoa, Mr. Giles! This place is so - wow. I mean, check out all the magic junk."

"Our new slogan," Giles said, shoving the costume under the counter. But Kitty dug the hat back out and put it on with a smile. He playfully flicked the pointed top before moving back over to Buffy

"So when's it open? You know, for customers?" Dawn asked, eying the empty shop.

Kitty and Buffy both cringed as Giles replied. "Since nine this morning, actually."

"Dawn. Go. Browse," Buffy told her, not wanting her to make the situation worse. "And—"

"You break it, you bought it," Dawn interrupted, rolling her eyes as she wandered to the back recess of the shop. "Heard you the first sixty times."

Giles then forced a smile at the girls. "Still, not to worry. No, I've got feelings about this place. Magic's a small niche market but, well, think about it. Sunnydale — monsters — supply and demand. They'll be lining up around the block in no time."

"Yeah. You'll be making money hand over fist," Buffy said, nodding. Then they watched as Kitty held her hand over her fist with a puzzled expression, trying to make sense of the expression.

"I'll just assume that's good," Kitty said with a frown. Then she perked up. "Don't sweat the lack of crowd, G-Money—"

"Don't call me G-Money."

"Don't sweat it, G," Kitty continued, grinning. "I gave Clem a bunch of flyers to hand out to his buddies. The ones that can pass as human will swing by later tonight."

Giles decided to not question Kitty's marketing tactic of inviting potentially dangerous and evil demons to the shop — they'd deal with that if a problem arose. Instead, he focused on Buffy, who seemed a bit out of it for so early in the morning. "You all right? You seem a little distracted."