24 | WAIT

I THINK YOU LOVE ME TOO.

[ 5.03 ]

In the basement of the Harris house, six were crammed on the couch and floor as they watched some kind of martial arts movie. Kitty was in between Xander and Riley on the couch, while Anya sat at Xander's feet. Teddy and Buffy were on the floor at Kitty and Riley's feet, both reading some book together and hardly paying attention. Anya's right arm was secured in a sling — courtesy of Harmony's minions and their attack the week before.

"Wish I had something food-like to offer you guys, but the hot plate's out of commission," Xander informed them, feeling a little bad about his lack of hospitality.

"We think the cat peed on it," Anya needlessly informed them.

"I do have Spaghetti-O's. Set 'em on top of the dryer and you're a fluff cycle away from lukewarm goodness," he said, gesturing to the dryer.

"Hmm. Yeah, I had dryer food for lunch," Riley joked.

"We're good, Xand," Kitty told him. It was a fairly slow day at the bakery that morning, meaning that she got to bring home lots of baked goods that had been out a little too long. Giles wasn't thrilled when Kitty and Teddy ate donuts for dinner, but it was dinner nonetheless.

Then from upstairs, they all heard a door slam. Xander looked up. "Ah, I guess the folks are back." The door sound was followed by his parents yelling at each other, which made them all uncomfortable — aside from Buffy and Teddy. "No, no, I was wrong. Just incompetent burglars." The yelling went on, and Kitty cringed as Mr. Harris' alcoholism was brought into it. Then there was a loud thudding sound and plaster dust fell from the ceiling as someone stomped their feet.

Xander, who was very embarrassed that they all heard that, winced. "Yeah, maybe it's definitely time to start looking for a new place. Something a little nicer," he said. "Buffy, you've been to Hell. They have one-bedrooms, right

That made Kitty and Riley laugh, and he noticed Buffy wasn't lying attention enough to laugh. "Hey Buffy, how's that book? Full of zippy dates and zesty names?" Riley asked.

"I'm fine," Buffy said, not comprehending his words. Riley then reached forward and over Buffy's shoulders to put his hand over the words on the page. It made both Buffy and Teddy frown. "Heyyy. I'm enjoying the studying."

"Who are you lately?" Riley asked in disbelief.

"Nerds," Kitty mumbled. But she knew how important this was to Buffy and Teddy, so she wouldn't have interrupted as Riley did.

"Give it up and watch the movie," he told them.

"I guess it has been a long day with the crusades. I can take a little break from the violence for some—" Buffy finally looked up and noticed the fight going on in the movie. "—ooh, fighting!"