20 | A NAME

HAPPY GOTCHA DAY TO ME.

[ 4.20 ]

"You need a name."

"Okay. What's my name?"

"Well, I can't think of a name. G, how did you pick my name?"

"I just picked it, and you didn't like it, so you started going by Xander's name," Giles said, not at all still bitter about that incident.

Giles was extremely surprised and unprepared when Kitty returned from the rescue mission with a brand spanking new banished Cupid in hand. It seemed the small family was unexpectedly growing once more. Though everyone had questions, the gang gave Kitty, Giles, and the new Cupid the space to adjust.

It was admittedly a little nostalgic for Giles, who remembered teaching Kitty about everything from microwaves to cars to music. Only this time, Kitty was the one pulling around the new being and showing off everything. It was amusing, as she was both confident and frequently wrong.

"How's the show get inside the box?" the Cupid had asked when Kitty was showing him an episode of Power Rangers.

"There's this thing in the sky and it's like a huge disco ball that reflects the shows to each television set," Kitty had explained.

Before Giles could even begin to interject that that wasn't how TVs worked, the Cupid was moving on. "Okay. What's a disco ball?"

"Oh, I can show you when I take you to Xander's!"

The problem with the new Cupid was that no one knew what to call him. Kitty called dibs on getting to name him but she couldn't actually think of anything that might fit. So, for now, everyone was calling him 'Cupid.' Other than the brief glimpses caught the night of the rescue, no one outside of Giles and Kitty had properly met Cupid, not wanting to overwhelm him even more. Given the Initiative's harsh treatment, he was skittish around new people — especially Riley, who he watched walk by his cell many times when working for them.

By the morning of Kitty's Gotcha Day, a name still hadn't been landed on. But Cupid would get to properly meet everyone that night at her party, which she was happy to share with him.

Giles was letting the two Cupids sleep in late for the special day. Cupid took up camp in Kitty's room, her bed being big enough for the both of them. He had blueberry muffins baking in the oven, which was Kitty's favorite. Once they woke, Kitty was going to take Cupid around Sunnydale to slowly introduce him to the world outside his cell. Giles would take the time to decorate for the party.

Until then, he sat in the living room, softly strumming his guitar, making sure to do it quietly so as to not wake them upstairs. Giles sang softly under his breath, contemplating singing something for Kitty at the party — Kitty loved listening to Giles sing but would pretend to be embarrassed when others were around, as any daughter would when her father did something like that.