27 | BENEATH HER

[ this is a spike fic, so whatever happens between teddy and buffy will mainly be on the side and not focused on. but the second episode of this chapter is mostly teddy and literally no spike. and the chapter after has a teddy and spike take down riley team up

also, for my impatient babes... i'll just tell ya, chapter 31 is when big things finally happen. i'm working on 29 rn ]

I DON'T THINK I HAVE TO WARN YOU TO NOT STEP OUT OF LINE.

[ 5.07 — 5.08 ]

Riley was the epitome of stealth and danger as he moved through the graveyard, sticking to the shadows and hiding behind headstones. He paused behind a marble slab and raised his fist, moving it down twice to signal to his compatriots.

The sound of Kitty crunching on a tortilla chip filled the night air, breaking the silence. She, along with Willow, Anya, and Xander were about twenty yards back from the soldier, not taking patrol nearly as seriously as he did. They were only filling in for Buffy for one night, who got injured the night before.

"What's with the hand move?" Xander questioned, not even bothering to whisper. "Does that like mean something?"

"It's code," Willow informed him matter-of-factly. "I think it breaks down to 'choo-choo'."

"Or it's like a truck," Kitty said, thinking of the eighteen-wheelers on the highway. "Like, 'keep on trucking'. So we keep following him."

"That, or wait here for him," Anya added.

They watched Riley's covert movements for a moment longer before Willow poked Xander. "Ask."

"Hey, Riley!" Xander yelled. He quickly mimicked the hand movement. "What's the — all about?"

Riley looked back at them in exasperation. "It means yell real loud so the vampires who don't know we're coming will have a sporting chance."

"See, now he's all mean and sarcastic," Xander complained to Willow.

"That's because you were doing all the yelling, Mr. Stealthy-Pants," she said accusingly.

"It's their fault," Anya told Riley as Kitty shoved a handful of tortilla chips into her mouth.

"Guys, I'm thinking if we split up, we could cover more ground," Riley suggested, just wanting them to get away. "Tell you what? I'll take the cemeteries, you guys get the Bronze."

"Are we not being covert enough?" Anya asked.

"We're sorry!" Xander said, not wanting to split up.

"Sorry," Willow said, wincing.