~ fifteen ~

Lightning and Thunder

The sound of the cabin's door creaking open sent Heeseung scrambling to his feet. He instinctively reached for a can of bug spray to use as a weapon.

"Heeseung?" A familiar voice whispered.

He slowly exhaled, sinking back into his spot. "Jesus, Sunghoon. You nearly gave me a heart attack."

Sunghoon stepped out of the shadows, pale skin illuminated by the moonlight. "What are you doing outside?"

"I was gonna ask you the same thing."

"You always do this," Sunghoon huffed, wrapping his jacket tighter around himself. "Just answer the question, Heeseung."

"Hyung." Heeseung stared at him unblinkingly. "It's Heeseung hyung."

Sunghoon opened his mouth, taken aback.

"Fine," he replied angrily. "Act like a child all you want, hyung. I'm going to bed."

Heeseung watched Sunghoon storm away, feeling slightly guilty. He was usually good at setting aside his own biases for the sake of harmony within the team, but at that moment, he was too tired to care.

The door opened again.

"Wear this," Sunghoon spat, flinging Heeseung's jacket at him. "Don't catch a cold while you're out here acting like a fool."

He disappeared into the cabin, leaving the older boy alone with the wilderness.

Heeseung reluctantly put on his jacket, keeping a diligent watch over the tent in which Jungwon, Sunoo, Ni-ki, Kai, and Daniel were fast asleep. About an hour ago, the flashlights inside had clicked off, but it had only been thirty minutes since the whispering and giggles ceased.

A small gust of wind made him regret leaving his sleeping bag indoors. He yawned, tucking his arms inside his shirt for warmth. It wasn't necessarily cold outside, but the chilly night breeze kept him from getting too comfortable.

Sunghoon returned with a granola bar and a bottle of water.

"You didn't eat dinner properly."

He coolly dropped the items into Heeseung's lap before departing.

Heeseung couldn't help but faintly smile as he nibbled on the bar.

It was another twenty minutes before Sunghoon was back. He stood with his arms crossed, staring down at Heeseung.

"When was the last time you slept?"

"Doesn't matter."

Sunghoon plopped onto the ground next to him. "I know what you're doing."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah. It was obvious the second we got here that you don't like this place."

Heeseung's eyes slid over to the tent. "No, I just don't like camping."

Sunghoon read his face. "Liar. You're scared."

Heeseung looked away.

"And you're guarding them," Sunghoon deduced, tilting his head towards the tent. "But from what?"

"Bears."

"Do you think I'm stupid?"

Heeseung let out a giggle, swaying back and forth precariously.

Sunghoon steadied him. "Seriously, when was the last time you got some sleep?"

"I can't remember." Heeseung gave him a loopy grin, tipping sideways.