☆ sixty-five ☆

TW: references alcoholism, suicide, and depression

~~~~~

Silent Canary || 4/4

"Dammit, he's at the bottom of the cliff?" Heeseung stared in disbelief at the figure in the distance.

Soobin moved closer to the edge, peering down into the dark blue water about ten meters below. Yeonjun closed his eyes, letting himself slip beneath the gentle waves. His black overshirt slid off his arms, fading away as it sank to the bottom of the lake.

"Jun!" Soobin shouted. He glanced back at Jay and Heeseung, who were both preoccupied with trying to read the paper map offered to all Namsan Park visitors at the front gate.

"Hm." Heeseung flipped the sheet of paper upside down. "I think if we backtrack a bit, this path should lead us to the bottom of the cliff."

Yeonjun sank further under the rippling water, his white shirt like a beacon in the darkness. Soobin quickly unzipped his jacket, tossing it aside.

"Heeseung hyung, that's the path we're on right now," Jay sighed. "The map's the wrong way."

"No, this is the right way," Heeseung insisted.

"Then why's the bathroom symbol upside down?"

"But if we turn it the other way, then the words are upside down!" Soobin's discarded jacket caught Heeseung's attention. He bent down to pick it up. "Hey, hyung, why'd you-"

He turned around, only to be met with a terrifying sight.

Soobin stood at the edge of the cliff, legs together and arms spread out like wings. His white button-up fluttered in the wind as he turned back once to glance at Heeseung before jumping.

"No!" Heeseung shrieked. "You can't swim!"

He frantically shedded his own jacket, preparing to go in after the older boy.

"Stop!" Jay grabbed his arm. "There's rocks down there. Soobin hyung got lucky, but you might not."

Heeseung hesitated for a moment before putting on his jacket again. "Fine."

He lowered himself over the edge and began climbing down the cliff instead. Jay hastily followed him.

"Soobin hyung!" Heeseung yelled as he reached a ledge. "Hang on! We're coming!"

Jay's head snapped towards Heeseung. "Remember what the psychologist told him?"

"What?" Heeseung's eyes widened in realization. "Oh!"

The two boys simultaneously turned back to Soobin.

"We all float down here!" Heeseung shouted. "Soobin hyung, float!"

"On your back!" Jay added. "Like a starfish!"

Soobin slapped at the water helplessly, his eyes glazing over with fear.