~ seventy-three ~

TW: kidnapping, references suicide, death, and miscarriage

~~~~~

The Best of Belift pt. 3 || 3/3

"Sir, here are the files on Jihun, Eunji, and the driver." A young soldier who had ears that stuck out like an elf's handed the police captain three folders. "Sorry it took so long; we had to-"

"It's alright, Dobby," the captain muttered, preoccupied with the files. "I had low expectations anyway. Go back to your squad and await further orders."

"Yes, sir. Sorry, sir." Dobby bowed before scurrying away.

"Files?" Heeseung nervously laughed. "You wouldn't happen to be talking about the files that are, um, in the CEO's office, right?"

He and Yeonjun glanced at each other, remembering all too well their little adventure two weeks ago that may or may not have involved breaking into the CEO's office and taking pictures of the staff files for their investigation.

"Jihun and Eunji's, yes," Mei replied, sifting through the folders. "But BTS's driver works for BigHit, so we got her file from Bang Si-hyuk, or as you guys call him, PD-nim."

She skimmed through the files, reading random bits of information out loud.

"Lee Jihun. Twenty-nine-year-old male from the renowned Seo-Lee family. His mother is the CEO of Seo-Balm Skincare; his father is a surgeon at the top-ranked Asan Medical Center." Mei cheerfully smiled, setting aside Jihun's file. "In other words, he's a nepotism baby. Next, we have Hayashi Eunji. Thirty-one-year-old female from Japan. She moved to Seoul three years ago, which lines up with-"

Mei suddenly paused. She closed Eunji's folder. "She moved here for new beginnings."

Three years ago?

Heeseung knew what Mei was protecting Eunji from. After the interview with Mr. Gwan, Eunji had told them about her life before she came to Korea. More specifically, that she had once been married, and that her relationship had fallen apart after a miscarriage and her struggle with infertility. He respected Mei for keeping Eunji's secret. Eunji may have done wrong to them, but she didn't deserve to have her personal life outed to the world. Nobody deserved that.

"If you're not going to read them properly, then I will." The captain picked up the files, scanning each one before tossing them onto the picnic table. "The last one doesn't have a lot. BTS's driver had an average middle-class childhood in Busan; she grew up there, had a son and a husband, but got divorced and moved to Seoul a year ago after a family tragedy. She's been living on her own ever since."

Mei's head snapped towards him. "What did you say?"

"She got divorced and moved to Seoul?"

"No, what do you mean she had a son and a husband? Had as in past tense?"

"Yes," the captain nodded. "She and her husband divorced after they lost their son in a surfing accident."

"So she lied." Mei stared off into space, slightly distracted. "Sir, I don't think Jihun and Eunji are the sasaengs."

The police captain laughed. "And why not?"

"While we were at Belift's dorm, the driver said she said she had a son and husband to go home to, implying that she was only doing this because Jihun and Eunji would hurt her if she didn't."

"Maybe she was lying because she was scared," Jake suggested.

"Why would she lie to the police?" Mei stared at the captain. "I'm telling you right now, Jihun and Eunji aren't the sasaengs."