Did we run away?

I wake up in a moving car, George driving around slowly and properly. His hand is still in mine.

My eyes dart to the digital clock on the radio that's playing the aux at a low volume. It's 8:15am.

My stomach grumbles and I blink the sleep out of my eyes.

The brunette looks down at me and gives me a soft smile while I sit up and bring the leather seat back behind me.

I pull my hand away from his and he puts his quickly to the wheel while I use mine to rub my forehead and take in our surroundings.

"Where are we?" I yawn.

"South Carolina" he smiles and my face turns white.

"I'm joking... I'm just driving around; putting off going back home. You hungry?"

"Jesus George..." I smack his side and he chuckles,"I'm a little hungry"

"There's a McDonald's up the road here we can go to. What do you want?" He sounds so alive, so awake for this early.

"Big Mac and an Oreo McFlurry?"

"Alright... I'll get a 20 piece on the side for us to share"

I nod and smile at him. We pull into the drive-through and luckily enough it's too early for many people to be getting anything.

We order and then wait in silence until we get our food.

We dig in hungrily and watch each other, friendly conversation filling the air.

"I really appreciate you letting me vent last night. More then you realise" George puts down his burger and looks at me.

"You hadn't done that in awhile, had you?"

He shakes his head and frowns,"people don't like listening to my shit. My trust issues are so bad that I don't even know why I told you everything"

"I know... but can I be honest?"

He eyes me suspiciously,"...sure"

"Your dad sounds like he needs a therapist. Someone who he can talk too. He really needs someone to just listen to his problems without judgement or it affecting them"

George picked up his burger again and takes a bite.

"I know but... therapy is just so... expensive. We don't have that sort of cash just laying around"

"You aren't poor, George... you just aren't in a good place right now and I think it would be a good investment where it could help him move on in life and maybe start bringing in more money for you guys. I could help pay, even just a little"

"I don't need your charity."

"It's not charity if you're involved. I really like you. I want to help you and your family and I want you to know you can come around any time to my place. I can give you the address"

George blushes as I run my hand up his crossed legs comfortingly and he grabs it to stop me.

"Nick. Stop."

I try to pull my hand back to 'stop' but George holds it in place. He lets go and turns to the wheel again, blushing an ever deeper red.

"Just stop." He mutters under his breath.
———
/GEORGE/
My heart races in my chest as butterfly's swarm and swoop right next to it. But it doesn't feel good. It feels like the butterfly's are turning to wasps and are stinging me mercilessly over and over again.

He doesn't even realise he's doing it and that's the worst part. The obliviousness isn't an act. It's real and he's in love with Clay. Not me.

Putting his hand on my thigh wasn't meant in a suggesting way but it just made me want to kiss him right there. The look of pure loss in his eyes terrorises me when I couldn't bring myself to let him go. Or even to meet his eye.

I shouldn't have told him all that stuff. I fall too fast and he's too nice.
———
/SAPNAP/
George has been silent for and hour now, but we're running out of gas and we need to get some.

"I'll pay. You've been nothing but nice to me
and I owe you." I offer and George nods, letting out a small thank you before I get out.

It's a cold morning but no doubt it'll get warmer, I also have no idea where we are right now but I trust him not to murder me or kidnap me.

I go inside to pay for it and I also buy a bottle of vodka, showing him my fake ID and luckily getting away with it.

I wish them a good day and head back out to the car, sitting in next to George again and showing him the bottle to which he smiles at and drives on.
———