Unhappy Like Ice Cream

"Hyung, pleaseeeeeeeeeee."
Renjun rolled his eyes, looking up at his cousin, "why should I?"
Chenle bit his lip, thinking of an excuse as they stopped for a moment. Renjun folded his arms in front of his chest with a smirk as he waited.
Chenle's eyes suddenly lit up, "because Jisungie wants some?"
"Huh?" Jisung looked up from his phone at his name, glancing over toward the two, "what do I want?"
"Ice cream," Chenle looked at Jisung with anticipation, hoping he'd get the gist. Renjun internally snorted as Jisung nodded absentmindedly. "Yup of course."
Renjun slyly grabbed Chenle's arm, pulling him so that the youngest wouldn't hear them. "I thought you were gonna get over him, huh?"
Chenle took a quick jab at his cousin's stomach before shoving him away. Renjun simply chuckled.

Chenle had gone a full length almost hour long rant the day previous about his plans to get past his so called 'stupid whore ass crush' but seemed to have gone back on his words as he dragged Jisung the moment he was free. Renjun could only shake his head in disbelief as Chenle bounced in his spot. So much for moving on. He couldn't judge though, he and his cousin were basically the same person when it came to issue like this. The only difference was that Chenle seemed to have a warmer heart.

"So yes?" Chenle grinned, swaying from side to side as pushed and pulled the very occupied Jisung. He didn't seem to mind though, just staring almost angrily at his phone. Renjun didn't want to butt in to the boy's problem so he just turned to his hyperactive half-brother.

He sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose and smacking the side of Chenle's head but nevertheless taking both of the boys out of the town to get ice cream. Besides, they were both almost twice his height and could most definitely throw him if they wanted to. Despite having intimidation points, he'd rather not test it today since Chenle seemed extra excitable today.
He had a small break in his ever busy life and decided to just keep it to himself, not really wanting to leave the couch.

Unfortunately, Chenle had other plans.

Chenle saw his chance to annoy his older friend and, while dragging his own best friend, pestered the boy into going out with them since it had been a while. And while Renjun would have loved to just kick them out by themselves, he figured why not just drain himself a bit further. He had trouble sleeping the past few days so maybe this final blow would knock him out.

Renjun leaned on the door to the café close to his university, hoping for that sweet student discount as he opened it, using all his weight to even inch the door open. Chenle chuckled, pushing the door further with his hand in assistance, Renjun nodding in acknowledgement as he rather not verbally admit his upper body strength struggles.
Jisung awkwardly shuffled behind Chenle through the door, Renjun releasing his weight finally and jogging slightly to catch up with the two.
He cracked his neck, looking down to the ice cream options in the glass. "So, what do y'all want?"
Jisung shrugged, "anything is fine, hyung."
Renjun smiled up at him, rubbing the boy's back. The kid was way too humble for his own good.
He turned his eyes to Chenle.

And then there was this asshole.

"Chocolate."
"Not even gonna look at the-"
"Chocolate."

Renjun groaned internally before shaking his head. He was just slowly regretting being a good human being.
He took a deep breath as he approached the counter, pulling down his mask and putting on his public appropriate "smiling" face. He looked over to the flavours again, memorising the three damn flavours he wanted.

"Hi, can I- oh Mark," Renjun blinked, his brain short circuiting as he saw someone familiar. Damn public spaces.
Mark chuckled, "Hi, Renjun, how are you?"
Renjun froze for a moment, the cogs slowly whirring again in his head as he buffered. He wasn't ready for a regular conversation at this moment in his life. "Um, uh, yeah," Renjun nodded suddenly, awkwardly shuffling his hands into his pockets, "yeah, I'm fine, what about you?"
The elder boy nodded, "yeah, I'm good, I'm good."
Renjun glanced behind him to see if there were any other customers who had come in, but alas the fates were not in his favour as he only saw Jisung fiddling around with his phone as he cursed at someone. Mark chuckled fondly, reaching over the counter and poking Renjun's cheek, the younger jolting in fear.
"Sorry," Mark laughed, "you just looked a bit dazed."
Renjun chuckled awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck as he nodded. "Ah sorry."

"What can I get you?" Mark looked down at the screen, tapping a few things before looking up to Renjun with a warm smile.
"Chocolate," Chenle whispered into Renjun's ear, making the elder boy jump. If only they weren't out, he'd clock the boy straight in the face.
He resorted to flicking his cousin's side, muttering that he knew before clearing his throat. "Uh, can I get one chocolate ice cream, one mint choc and one vanilla? All double scoop."
"Oh fuck yeah," Chenle grinned down to Renjun, "I really get to drain your wallet today."
Renjun sighed deeply, wondering what he did so wrong in his past life to deserve this before he looked back up. "I lied, the chocolate one, only one scoop, thanks." 

Mark broke into fits of laughter, putting down the order in the machine (slyly making them all one scoop prices) before ringing them up. Renjun handed his card, Mark and him doing the transaction as Renjun's spine felt stiff. He tapped his feet, taking the card back once Mark was done before the four boys shuffled over the ice cream area, Renjun having to tug Jisung to get over there.

"Hey, Renjun, I've been meaning to ask," Mark mumbled out, concentrating on scooping the ice cream into the cones, "what's the relationship between you and Donghyuck?"
Renjun puffed his cheeks, wondering to himself where this was going. "We're friends," he replied, taking the first cone and handing it to his bratty cousin. "We've been friends since forever."
Mark nodded to himself, smiling to himself, "nice to know." He took a shaky inhale as he placed the second scoop on Jisung's order. "What's he like?"
"Why do you wanna know?" Renjun smirked as it clicked, wiggling his eyebrows at the elder. Mark's eyes shot up as the colour of his face deepened. Renjun burst into laughter as Mark shoved the second ice cream at him. Guess Donghyuck's non-vocal crush might actually reciprocate just a little.
"I just wanna know, man," Mark shook his head, "watch yourself, I really will give you one scoop."
Renjun laughed to himself, muttering an apology as he felt himself untense. Seemed Mark was a pretty chill person.

Jaemin and his damn taste in people. Sometimes he wondered if he'd be one of the people Jaemin would introduce to his friends.

Feeling his heart clench slightly at the thought, Renjun shook the idea out of his head, looking back up to Mark as he was scooping the last ice cream. He didn't want to reevaluate the way thought about Jaemin once again. He had already done that too many times in his life from Jeno's pestering.
"Donghyuckie is a loud, chaotic person. But I heard you've handled Yangyang at his worst, so I reckon you might be fine with Donghyuck," Renjun explained to Mark, hoping that maybe Mark might swing past and scoop his friend into his arms. Maybe then Donghyuck will stop clinging to his arms and also not complain about being single for so long. Two birds, one stone.

Well that and he of course valued his best friend's happiness.

"Might be?" Mark's eyes grew in slight shock.
Renjun shrugged with a small laugh, "He's kinda a handful, but you always learn to love him."

Mark nodded, smiling to himself. "That's good to know."
"Yeah," Renjun smiled back at him, leaning over the glass a bit, "good luck with him." He raised his eyebrows momentarily before pulling his mask back up over his nose. Mark breathed out a short laugh, handing him the last ice cream with a thank you. Renjun nodded, taking the dessert and ushering his acquaintances out of the shop with a small smile.

It was about time Donghyuck found someone for himself rather than living vicariously through fanfiction and anime.