Home

"Even if it takes ten years."

TW: mentions of miscarriage

- Bucky -

She clung onto me all night.

She would wake up crying every now and then, a new memory coming back to her, but being in extreme pain. But she enjoyed explaining what she saw, as did I. Because she got excited when she remembered something she didn't a few moments before.

One made me smile more than the others, and it was her remembering when she decided to make cookies for the team, and started a fire in the kitchen. I remember that day, because that was the day I knew I had found the person I knew I would love for the rest of my life. Because instead of screaming and being in complete fear as the oven caught fire, she was laughing. Laughing as she tried to figure out the directions of the fire extinguisher while Steve was yelling at her. And she fucking dropped the fire extinguisher, making it explode and cover the entire kitchen.

Good times.

She woke up eight times that night. Each time worse than the last. Her head was forcing her to remember, if her body was ready or not.

She woke up with a jolt around 4 am, her forehead slick with sweat as she trembled in my arms, "b-Bucky?" She stuttered, and I squeezed her a few times to let her know I was there.

"I'm here doll," I whispered, "whats wrong? Another memory?"

She nodded her head as she burst into tears, and I immediately knew something was definitely wrong. The hairs on the back of my neck stood, and I hugged her tightly as she cried.

"Hey, you're okay," I whispered, feeling her flip her body to where she could be face to face. I cupped her cheek in my palm, "Tessa. What did you just remember?"

"Pain," she cried, "so much pain."

"Where doll?"

"A c-concrete c-cell," she stuttered, "and a m-man."

"A man?" I asked, and she nodded her head. Maybe this will work, "what did the man look like?"

"He ha-had grey hair," she whispered, "and his n-name was A-Alexander I think..."

"Alexander Pierce?" I asked, and her eyes went wide in shock.

"Y-yeah!" She exclaimed, "he c-came to visit me.... a lot."

"Would he ask you questions?"

Nod.

"What questions?" I asked, and she paused for a second.

"He asked me if I could show him my new abilities," she whispered, "and I couldn't.. and he got mad."

"I'm sorry doll," I whispered, and she shook her head with a small smile.

"It's okay," she said as she took a deep breath, "it's... it's over now right? He- he died?"

I nodded as I ran my thumb across her cheek, "he's dead Tess. He's not coming back I promise."

"Bucky?" She asked, her voice quiet and breathy.

"Yes doll?"

"Can you continue the story?"

I gave her a reassuring smile, "of course."

"What's the next chapter?" She asked, and I could tell she was trying to distract herself.

"When they bought their first house," I smiled, "and let me tell you, they still have it today."

"Did they build it themselves?"