Chapter Ten - Blood, Sweat And Tears

When will this day end?

From the past week, this project had all of my attention. I didn't even get time for myself. All the buildings were demolished and the rubble had been discarded from the site, it alone took two whole days. Blake and I are working on the miniature model of the mall which is supposed to be delivered to Ace's office in three days, so, even after working hours Blake and I had to work on that.

After the conversation I had with Ace the other night when he walked me home, he had been avoiding me like the plague all week, and I have avoided him right back. Over the years, I have learned that people don't like it when you show them their true selves. The thing that amuses me the most is that now that he knows that I won't sleep with him, he immediately took a step back. I honestly had hoped that he had changed from his obnoxious self for the sake of doing business together but no, he is still the same rude, self-conceited, fuck boy he was all those years ago. If he needs me for something, he'd sent over his secretary, Brandon and I answer him through Derrek or Harper. It has been like this for the past week.

I glanced at my wristwatch for the umpteenth time as I couldn't wait to call it a day and go on home. Dad came back and after spending a few days together as a family I finally moved to my apartment last night.

"Ma'am"

I turned to see Derrek. "What?"

His eyes were glued to his iPad. "Mr. Harding has requested a meeting with you today at six p.m."

I frowned. "With me? As in the whole Vanderbilt team?"

"No, ma'am. His secretary personally contacted me. He wants a meeting with you and not as a Vanderbilt employee"

I frowned. "His office timings are nine to five, right?"

"Yes"

"Six p.m. doesn't even make sense... What could he possibly want?"

He finally looked at me with questioning eyes. "Do you want me to cancel? I can tell them that you already have plans for today"

I thought for a while. If he just wanted to meet me, he wouldn't schedule an appointment at his office. But if he has something to say about work then why only me? Blake should be there too. I wasn't the one leading this project, he was. I was confused and curious at the same time, as to what he could possibly want from me.

At last, curiosity won.

"No, it's fine."

He nodded and went on to confirm the meeting. I couldn't really concentrate on work after that. My mind constantly went back to Ace Harding and that meeting. He is not calling me to his office after everyone has left to murder me, is he? Is it because I deliberately awakened the monstrosity in his sweatpants and then turned him down the other day? Is he pissed about that?

I shook myself out of his thoughts and refocused on the enormous hole they had dug into the ground. I can't believe I am actually considering pushing Ace into it.