Chapter Eleven - Not That Drunk

The number of comments in the last chapter was very disappointing. 😑

Ace entered the hospital hallway, it was overly crowded and unhygienic

Ace entered the hospital hallway, it was overly crowded and unhygienic. He drove out of town to get to this hospital, the one he knew his parents would never set a foot in.

Sweat dripped from his forehead, he swallowed to ease the burn he felt in his throat. He saw dull faces all around him. It was incredibly noisy, the sounds of gadgets & equipment filled his ears— buzzing, clicking, air whistling. He felt afraid, confused, shocked.

He got to the front desk and handed them his appointment card. The nurse took his appointment card and typed it on the computer. An elderly male patient hobbled to the counter, banging on it hardly. Ace flinched away from the man. The old man coughed on the counter and blood spurted out of his mouth and into the handkerchief he was holding.

Everything around him only fueled his fear. Ace scratched his neck as the itching spread out all over his body, his whole body was covered in red spots. He wished his father could be here with him. He suddenly wanted to become a kid again and jumped in his mother's lap for comfort.

The nurse instructed him the direction to the doctor's room. He nodded and weakly walked down the hallway. There was a line of patients outside the doctor's office, he took a seat in the corner and tried to hide his face as much as he could.

He tapped his foot on the ground continuously, waiting for his turn. He felt his phone vibrating in his pocket. He pulled it out and saw Ella calling him. He was glad that she called, he was scared beyond measure, he needed someone.

He picked it up after a single ring. "Hey"

"Hey, where are you?!"

"I---um---I'm at the hospital"

"Is everything okay? Are you okay?" came her concerned voice.

"Um, yeah, everything's fine just a football injury" he sighed and after a beat, he spoke again. "I miss you..."

"Really?" She questioned, a little unconvinced. "I thought... I thought you were ignoring me... You know after we... you know..." she trailed off uneasily.

"Are you crazy? No, I'm not ignoring you. I told you I'm not going anywhere"

She blew out a breath. "You've been ignoring my calls"

"I was busy!" he snapped aggressively.

He heard a sharp intake of breath from her side. "Oh... Okay... I'll call you later----"

"No, please, I'm sorry, okay, I'm sorry. Just don't hang up, stay with me"

"Okay..." her voice broke as if on verge of crying.