Part 14

She listened to my stories without interrupting. Occasionally, she would shake her head, and the crease in her forehead deepened until it looked like it was carved permanently into the marble of her skin.

Suddenly, she looked out the window at the darkening sky.

"It's late."

"Could you stay?" I begged. "Please? Just for a little while." My voice broke.

"If you think that's a good idea." Her eyes were unhappy.

Me? What about her? Did she want to leave?

I could feel the blood draining from my face. My stomach dropped.

"Don't go, Melissa," I whispered. My fingers locked around the sleeve of her white shirt and I began to hyperventilate. "Please don't leave me."

Her eyes opened wider. "All right," she said, enunciating each word with slow precision. "I'm not going anywhere tonight. Take a deep breath."

I tried to obey, though I couldn't quite locate my lungs.

She watched my face while I concentrated on my breathing. She waited till I was calmer to comment.

"You look like hell, Rachel."

I flinched. "Look, I'm doing my best."

"What do you mean?"

"It hasn't been easy. I'm working on it."

I reached over and lightly placed my finger under her chin to lift it up so I could see her face, and read her eyes. I took the air in my lungs then, and the aroma coming off her body should have been illegal.

Her eyes roamed over my face before she leaned her head against my chest. I tightened my arms around her and she sighed, content.

Her head left my chest then. Our eyes met and the intensity of her gaze gave me the impression she was trying to read my mind.

I kissed her forehead and let her fragrance tingle my throat pleasantly.

My insides were twisting in pleasure at our touch but I finally gained the courage to breathe.

She took a deep breath as well, and then leaned in, inhaling my scent. I took in the sweet air between us into my lungs, too. I was instantly eager. Fear turned to ecstasy, which quickly washed over me and I began to lean closer to place my lips against hers.

I placed my hand under her chin once more, bringing her lips to mine. Euphoria splashed through my hectic nerves - calming them, though the electricity reminded me that I was human. Still here. With  her. In seconds the kiss was over and I could feel the slight tearing of my body as our lips parted and the space between us grew.