Part 22

She was quiet, too, and the silence felt a little awkward. My intuition told me that I didn't want to hear what she was thinking. We sat in silence for a moment. I realized it wasn't as stormy anymore. Somewhere behind the rain, the sun was beginning to rise higher in the sky.

I felt strange like I was floating on air as I made my way toward the cafeteria, and it wasn't just because I was holding hands with the most perfect person on the planet, though that was certainly part of it.

I would never admit to her how hard it was for me when she was gone - how it brought back the abandonment nightmares. If she knew that, it would make her feel awful and she would be afraid to ever leave me, even for the most necessary reasons.

I think she saw through me, though. A little. This morning there had been a note left on my pillow:

Look after my heart - I've left it with you.

Because, underneath all the endearment and the sarcasm, she was in pain. Right now, it was very clear in her eyes. I didn't know how to help her, but I knew I had to try. It was more than that I owed her. It was because her pain hurt me, too. Melissa had become a part of me, and there was no changing that now.

"I love you. You know that. Please don't be anxious." And then she'd kissed my forehead.

"They gave me a new pill for anxiety," I mentioned. "The last one wasn't strong enough."

"Weird," she said.

"Yeah." The smugness faded. "It probably means there's something wrong with my brain," I admitted.

"I already knew there was something wrong with your brain," she laughed.

"Thanks."

"By the way, my dad wants to invite you over for dinner."

"Oh."

"Yeah... you don't have to come."

I smiled best I could manage. "I don't mind."

After school, we walked to my house to do homework. At one point, she became upset at her math homework. To cheer her up, I took her chin in my hands and turned her face toward mine.

"Here," I said, kissing her lips softly. "Better?" I whispered.

"Much."

I pulled her close, burying my face into her hair. I could feel my cool breath saturate the strands as I exhaled; it raised goosebumps on my neck.