Part 23

The sun broke through the clouds suddenly, a surprise I hadn't been expecting, and I had to narrow my eyes against the glare off the white walls of the room. We squinted for a moment, letting our eyes adjust.

You know, I remember how you looked the first time you came to my place. I bet you don't even realize what a mess you were then, Rach. It was weeks before you started to look human again. And I remembered how you always used to have your arms wrapped around yourself, trying to hold yourself together. . . ." Melissa winced, and then shook her head. "It's hard for me to remember how sad you were, and it wasn't my fault. I couldn't do anything about it."

"You're right, it wasn't your fault," I stated. "I broke up with him. I knew he didn't love me." I stroked her hair. "Not like you do."

"We should probably head out."

I nodded. "Sounds like a plan, Stan."

We made our way over to her house. Her mother was in the kitchen, her father not home yet.

"Hi, Mrs. Miller!" I greeted cheerfully.

She slowly turned around. "Uh, hey girls..."

Melissa grew concerned. "What is it, Mom?"

She sighed, not meeting our gaze. "I'm worried. . . ."

"What's wrong?" Melissa asked, anxious at once. "What can I do?"

"It's not me." She shook her head. "I'm worried about you . . . and Rachel."

"You two are more serious than I'd been thinking," she went on. "There's something . . . strange about the way you two are together," she murmured, her forehead creasing over her troubled eyes.

I laughed, though I was not able to meet her gaze. "That's a bad thing?"

"No." She frowned as she struggled for the words. "It's just different. I feel like I don't really understand your relationship. Like there's some secret I'm missing. . . ."

"I think you're imagining things, Mom," she said quickly, struggling to keep her voice light. There was a flutter in my stomach.

She pursed her lips and stared down. "Don't tell me," Melissa teased, forcing a smile. "You're reading mysteries, aren't you? Or is it sci-fi this time?"

"Found anything good?" I asked.

"Well, there was one - but that doesn't matter. We're talking about you right now."

"You should stick to romance, Mom. You know how you freak yourself out."