Part 18

Melissa laughed. "No, I think we fell asleep after the movie."

She took another step toward me, till she was just inches away. She lifted a lock of my hair and rubbed it between her fingers delicately. Then she gently patted the strand back into place, and I felt her cool fingertips against my throat. She reached up to stroke my cheek once quickly with her thumb, her face curious. I stared at her, wishing more than anything that the future would never happen. That this moment would last forever, or, if it couldn't, that I would stop existing when it did.

"How did you sleep?"

"Good." I smiled.

Suddenly, her phone rang.

"What's the story?" I asked, genuinely curious, but also trying desperately to keep the conversation casual.

"It's my mom." she opened the phone and answered.

I smiled at my plan before moving my lips over her soft skin.

I brought my lips to the hollow at the base of her throat, and she gasped. I kissed lightly moving my nose under her jaw lightly.

I could hear her mother through the phone "Is everything alright?"

"Ye-yeah, a bird just hit the window. It scared me." she lied.

Apparently, I wasn't distracting her enough, though I was thoroughly distracted. I was euphoric. I trailed the tip of my nose up her throat and down her jawline to the tip of her ear. My lips were barely touching her. A curious sensation crawled up my throat.

I could feel her heart thumping. I breathed softly at the corner of her jaw, letting the flavor burn down my throat.

Her cheeks were red, the blush filling the air with her silky aroma.

I waited in silence. She would tell me, I just had to be patient.

"Are you over at Rachel's again? You know your father won't like you hanging out with her so often."

She bit her delicate lip and nodded. "I know that, Mom," she said into the phone. "Don't worry about it. It's just a crush."

Crush? Just a crush? Her words burned more than fire.

Her words held some meaning, yet I couldn't grasp it. My eyebrows pulled together as I speculated on the subtlety of her words. It was moments like these I wished I could read her mind.

I whispered, moving my lips down her neck. She trembled under my touch. I wanted to bring our lips together fiercely, but I resisted.