Part 31

"I don't want to," I said quietly. My mind was a thousand years away.

She was still watching my face, waiting for me to relax.

"Can I ask you something?" I said.

"Anything."

I hesitated, biting my lip, and then asked a different question than the one I was worried about.

"Do you miss me? At all?"

She sighed. "I do.'

"What do you miss?"

"This, for example."

She stared into my eyes as she stroked my cheek, and I felt the blood rush up to color my skin. She laughed gently.

"And the sound of your heart," she continued, more serious but still smiling a little.

"It's the most significant sound in my world. I'm so attuned to it now, I swear I could pick it out from miles away. But neither of these things matter."

"They don?"

She shook her head.

"Am I that bad a kisser?" i joked, but she didn't smile.

She blushed instead.

"Rachel-"

"It's fine, Melissa. I get it. You don't want me around. We didn't work out for whatever reason." I realized people were staring, but I didn't care. "Whether you blame me for the accident-"

"I never-"

"You've considered it, though. And maybe it was inevitable. Maybe your dad spoke to you, or you fell out of love with me, but whatever it is, it doesn't matter anymore. You've made your point. You don't want to be with me. Not anymore." I exhaled, realizing I had been holding my breath as I spoke.

"I'm done."