Chapter 13 ~ Momma bear

Rose De León

It's morning. I hate mornings. 

I roll over in my bed to face the other side and check my phone. First thing I see is a notification from Rebecca. I smile and open the text. 

My smile doesn't long long though after reading 'Hey, I have some bad news. Wanna meet up some wheres?'. Rebecca has never messaged me something like this since our cat died in ninth grade. 

Maybe our other cat died- We don't have another cat dumbo. 

I take a deep breath and message back 'Sure, Coffee shop?'. 

She types back yes and I get out of bed. I get changed changed into a pair of legging shorts with a white crop top, throwing on a plaid cover up since most people in this house are perverts. 

I grab my phone and head down stairs into the kitchen to find Cyrus. When I enter the kitchen he's sitting down on the bar stool looking down at his phone. 

"Hey, can I borrow your spare car" I ask with a smile. He looks up from his phone "Sure" He sighs and stands up from the stool, heading out of the kitchen and I can hear him walking up the stairs. 

It doesn't take him long for him to come back down with the keys in his hand. I go to take them from him but he moves his arm all the way up so I can't reach. "Why do you want them?" He asks, his dark brown eyes slicing through mine. 

"I'm going to go meet Rebecca at the coffee shop. She has something to tell me" I reply, crossing my arms over my chest. 

I'm hungry. 

"Okay, have fun" He tells me, handing me the keys. I gladly take them and head out the door. 

~~~

It doesn't take me long to arrive at the coffee shop. I take a seat at one of the back table that are away form the crowd and patiently wait for Rebecca to show up. 

The little bell on the Coffee shop door rings and Rebecca walks in. Once she sees me she quickly walks over and takes the seat in front of me. Her hair is in a messy french braid and her eyes are red and puffy; She's been crying. 

I take her hands in mine and rub my thumb calmly on the back of her hand. "What's wrong, Rebecca" I ask. 

"Momma's...Um... M-momma's dead and her funerals tomorrow" She sobs, struggling to actually say it out loud. In this moment, everything goes quiet. I can't feel anything and I can't really hear anything. I feel kind of dead, like I'm no longer in control of my life. 

Don't get me wrong, I was never really close with my mother since father never let us but it still hurts knowing she's gone. 

"How?" I ask quietly. She looks at me for a moment than sighs "That day when you came over with Cyrus, dad had already has a few drinks and you know how he gets when he drinks. After you left, he drank a few more until he was more angrier than I have ever seen him. He went up to momma who was washing dishes and yelled at her that she made a mistake having twins. And he beat her to death" She sobs, tears running down her face. This is all my fault, I shouldn't have done what I did. If I just left him beat me up then this wouldn't have happened but I just had to be my annoying self. 

I still feel nothing. Not even a tear as left my eye. I just feel numb. The world is still quiet.

I get out of my seat and give her a hug. She clings to me and I let her. She needs me right now and as her sister I need to be there for her. 

~~~

Rebecca and I continued to talk for 2 hours. At first it was about work, then it went to mom and the couple memories we actually did have of her. Like when she snuck into our room after father fell a sleep and she read us a story. She did that for almost 5 months before dad caught her and punched her.