Chapter 45 ~ Pancakes

Rose De León

Dear Cyrus, 

I miss you all the time, but I miss you most when I lay awake at night and think about all the wonderful times that we spent with each other for those were some of the best and most memorable times of my life. 

And it's not even like we broke or something, your just away. 

Luckily though, Rebecca is staying here with me until you get back so I won't be completely alone for the next 3 months. 

Nothing has changed with her and Jacob. I still think they should get together but in the end it's their choice. 

Ryker misses you. He keeps telling jokes about you being gone but I can tell he misses his best friend. He's also been staying over a lot more. 

Mostly just to annoying Jacob. 

Them 2 have gotten close. I think Ryker needed another friend. 

When you get back, I'd love to hear more about what it was like growing up with Ryker. You guys aren't blood related but you are brothers. 

Come home safe. 3 months left. 

Love, 

Your Rose. 

I fold the piece of paper and tuck it into the desk drawer where I keep all the other letters I've written. 

I look around the room, breathing in the last smells of him. 

It's barely anything now but on some days when a soft breeze goes by it's almost like he's right beside me. 

But he's not. 

I'm hungry. 

I decide that's my que to leave the room and get the day started. 

When I enter the kitchen Evelyn is standing over the stove humming a song. I give her a big smile and sit down at one of the stools. 

"I still think your cooking is better then Cyrus's"  I comment, leaning my head on my hands. 

She snorts and pulls a plate out of the cabinet, "He would be very offended if he heard that." She looks over her shoulder and smiles at me. 

"I don't care. I've insulted him many times before." I recall all the times, mostly before we fell in love, that I insulted him straight to his face. Best of times. 

She's still smiling when she puts 2 pancakes on a plate and hands them to me. I load it with whip cream and strawberries. How else would I eat them? 

I should put this whip cream on Cyrus- Stop. 

She sits down next to me with her own plate. 

We both eat in silence until she speaks up first, "When Cyrus was a little boy he always looked up to the relationship his parents had. My son, Atticus, loved Cyrus's mother, my daughter in-law, and I did too. She was a very kind lady. My other son, Cyrus's uncle Arnoldo, he was always too cruel to love anything like his brother. Cyrus grew up having a longing for that kind of relationship but when they died, so did the idea of love. You brought it back to him. You brought back the little boy who wanted nothing more then to be loved."

I'm about to speak up but she continues, "Don't get me wrong, Cyrus had Ryker and the both of them were trouble makers. They got into everything growing up and nothing changed in their teenage years. Ryker has been by Cyrus's side forever. Them two boys will always have each others backs. That brother love helped Cyrus, kept him afloat, but it was nothing like the love of a soulmate. Someone you love so deeply it hurts but at the same time it makes you feel so alive."

Evelyn always has that sparkle in her eye when she talks about love. I would like to think she is talking about her husband, a man I know hardly anything about. No one really talks about him or Cyrus's Parents. 

It wasn't until now that I even knew his father's names. Atticus. 

"I don't want to make you sad or miss Cyrus more then you already do but I do want you to know more about the past of the Romano's. Cyrus doesn't really like talking about it but you are family and always have been. Plus, he isn't here to stop me" She smiles with a small laugh and I can't help but join her. 

"Thank you for telling me, Evelyn. Cyrus is a good man, even if I didn't see that at first." I smile thinking back to when we first met. 

"I'm not here to chitchat so we are going to get right into business. Where's you daughter?" His voice is low, no emotion in it. 

"Which one" My father laughs at his own not funny joke. Cyrus doesn't laugh along, he just stands there looking at my father. This would be my cue. 

I stand up from my chair and Cyrus's eyes fall to me. He's a lot taller then me and I almost break my neck looking at him. "I'm Rose, his daughter" I introduce myself. 

I hated him. Found him very hot, but mostly hated him. 

If you had of told me then that I would fall so deeply in love with a tall giraffe that's a pain in my ass sometimes, I would have laughed in your face. 

But here we are. 

Sadly- Stop

She stands from her stool, walking her dish over to the sink and going to walk out of the room but when she's almost at the door she turns to look at me again, "I'll tell you about my husband someday. I think you'd really like him." 

With that, she leaves the room. 

By the time I finish my breakfast I'm ready to take on the day. 

Word count: 990

Short chapter today but I had no clue what else to write. 

Summer soccer just started but I'm not gonna let that stop me from posting since I've actually been posting more. 

Thanks again for over 100k reads. Love you guys!!