Chapter 3: Daydreaming

Aby's POV:

"Hello, we have to leave," Ella taps me on the shoulder, but I'm not paying attention. "Yo Aby! C'mon, we'll late." She waves her hand in front of my face. "Earth to Aby!" She sighs exasperatedly and then claps her hands in front of my face. "Aby! Snap out of it!" Ella yells at me.

"Sorry," I reply, and go back to eating my cereal.

"Daydreaming again?" She asks, putting her bowl in the sink.

"You know me." I take a bite of my now-soggy Cheerios.

"What about?" She asks, grabbing her homework on the table and stuffing it in her backpack.

"One Direction, as usual." I pull my cardigan on.

"What is so special about them?" She asks, tossing me my car keys.

"Everything! Ugh, I just can't explain it to non-Directioners." I grab my backpack and head out the door.

"Oh brother," Ella mutters, sliding into the car. I climb in too. "So this contest you entered..." I start up the car and I can't help but smile as I think about the boys.

"You have to write about why you love them. We all know Katrina will win, but the rest of us entered just to be safe."

"What do you get if you win?"

"Well, there is one winner for each venue they're playing at, and that winner gets six front-row seats and they get to meet the boys after the show. There is a grand-prize winner who gets six front-row seats, and you and five friends get to spend an entire day with 1D."

"Wow," she says, looking up from her phone. "Do you think Katrina is good enough to win the grand prize?"

"I hope so. She already feels bad enough about not being able to get tickets for us, and I don't want her to feel worse if she doesn't win. She always beats herself up for every mistake, and we don't want her to do that."

"That sucks."

"Yeah. Well, we're here!" We both jump out of the car and walk up to our school, Northview Academy. It's a private school, so we have to wear itchy uniforms, but it'll look good on my college application. Maybe someday I'll go to Yale. It's always been my dream, and both of my parents and my older brother Jacob went there. Ella's planning on going, to make it a family school. Megan walks up to me.

"Guess what today is?" She squeals, looking at me intently.

"Umm..." She slaps my arm.

"They announce the winners today!"

"Holy freaking cow! I'm so excited! I hope we win."

"Of course we will! We have Katrina writing for us, so we've got nothing to worry about." I love Megan for a lot of reasons, and one of them is because whenever she talks she uses tons of hand gestures. It can be distracting, but it's quite amusing. She's also super hyper and easily excited. When Megan first moved here, Katrina compared her to a spazzy little chipmunk, and she couldn't have been more accurate. "We're all going over to Skyler's house after school to wait for them to announce the winners. Can you come?"

"Of course I'm coming! I can't wait!" We stride up to Allison, Carissa, Skyler and Katrina who are all talking about the contest. I just hope we win.