Chapter 11

My eyes slowly open to the sound of something snapping outside.

This sound is also the first thing to leave my thoughts as I realize I've just spent the night sleeping in the hallway in a shocking position. My neck is stiff, my left arm is dead and I have pins and needles shooting up my legs. I let out a groan and attempt to sit up properly. As shattered and sore as it has all made me, I desperately needed that cry.

All I have to do now is move, preferably in the direction of a clock so I know exactly how much I've slept in.

I crawl up the wall, still holding my neck and stumble to the computer.

I was meant to let Miles call last night and I feel bad. Not that he could have done much. All he would have heard was me bawling my eyes out and asking where the nearest gun was.

I flop my head in my arms as I wait for the thing to turn on, trying to wake up. Man, I need coffee though I don't know if I want to brave the Oxford yet just in case Taffy is still unsure of me. I'm a little less confidant to defend myself this time.

I pull my head out of my arms and look at the screen, sighing with relief.

It's only just gone 9.30 in the morning. Granted, I did start to sleep at about five o'clock yesterday so it was a long sleep. I wonder why I still feel tired then.

While at the computer, I reluctantly look at my inbox. Sure enough, three unread emails sit in there:

"Nina,

I won't ask how the funeral went because you've taken your phone off the hook again.

I know this can't be a good sign. Please get in contact with me.

I'm worried.

Miles."

I smile at his concern and immediately put the phone back on the hook, I then go back to the computer and click on the next email.

***

"To Nina Merelize,

Hi boss!! Grief work sucks without you here. Everyone is feeling it and you've only been off work a week and a half.

Corrine and Brenda quit straight up and others are trying to but are struggling to know where to look for other work. Including me.

Any suggestions?

How's things there? Are you okay?

'HOT GUY' from the coffee shop said he'd be keeping in touch with you. Has he? If not, can I have him? Cor! He's a bit of alright. Hope you're doing okay there.

Your loyal ex-employee,

Tina Anderson."

After shaking off the unexpected feeling of jealously, I smile. I do miss Tina and now I feel bad because I specifically said I'd help her find new work and I haven't.

I screw up my nose and click on the last message.

***

"Nina,

Please put your phone on. I'm worried and afraid that you've ignored my plea for you to stay out of the liquor cabinet.

It's keeping me awake and I need to make sure that you're okay so please contact me.

You're just scaring me now."

***

I prop myself up with a surge of productivity and start to reply to the messages.

This can be the start of me getting back on track.

"To Tina,

I'm SO, SO, SO sorry. I totally forgot about my promise to get you out of that place. Things over here are warmer and yes 'Hot Guy' has been keeping in contact with me.