Chapter 20

I wake up to the phone ringing very loudly and ridiculously close to my ear. I cringe away from it with a groan, making myself almost fall off the bed. My head is killing me and it smells like smoke in here.

I pick up the phone and frown at it, flopping back on to the covers again.

"Mm?" I answer.

"Just me." the low voice of Joe says, "You up yet?"

"Do I sound up?" I grumble. There's a brief silence and I realize how tactless I must sound. I go to apologize but he gets in first.

"You okay?" I sit up with a sigh and brush my fringe out of my face.

"Yes. Sorry...I was just. You just woke me is all. Sorry, I didn't mean it like that."

"I know." he says as if it was the last thing he was worried about. "Just didn't hear from you again after you disappeared."

"Yes and I'm sorry about that too. I fell asleep after talking to Miles."

"Good." he clears his throat, "We thought you might be crying or...or something."

"No, I'm okay and thanks again for yesterday."

"Yeah. Hey, Tara was here last night. Alyssa told her to come here instead of going to your place and she ended up staying."

"Is she okay?" I ask wiping my eyes hard.

"Uh...pretty shaken. She wanted to head over to you soon. The insurance company want to have a look through the place with you both in half an hour. That okay?"

"Yeah, fine. Give me fifteen minutes."

"Yep."

"Thanks Joe."

"Right...bye." We hang up and I close my eyes curling into my pillow. Ten more seconds of self pity before getting up. Beginning the day with a headache and in yesterdays smoke smelling clothes isn't the most promising start. Why do I get the feeling that today's going to be a bad one?

I go to the computer and turn it on before heading to the shower to wash the smoky smell of yesterdays events off me. I have to try and also wash off the foul mood I'm in as Taffy will be in a bad enough state as it is. She doesn't need me moping around and I don't plan to. Instead I will take up Miles' offer to cry to him when I need to. These people have lost a friend also. They knew Adriana better than I did so I don't think they deserve to hear about my emotional issues. symbolic or otherwise.

"Nina,

How did you sleep? Just checking in and reminding you to call me if you need to talk. I know you will be having a pretty intense day so I thought I'd just say I'm thinking of you; wish I could do more.

Miles."

***

"To Miles Worrywarts Hamilton.

Thank you for your thoughts and your kindness. May call to complain tonight but goodness knows what today has in store.

Being there for me to complain to is quite enough. You don't need to do any more than that. Apart from maybe get some more sleep.

From your fake happy-faced friend who wished she could go to bed and stay there,

Nina."

After sending the email, I head off to Romeo for a different kind of uplifting and to get my head in the right frame of mind. I still feel horrible for falling asleep while people were here and even worse for making Joe stand out on the street to watch the fire. I already feel as though I'm taking these peoples presence for granted.