Chapter 28

"To Nina,

Haya! How did yesterday go? Just letting you know I had a call from your ex and he's coming in tonight so will let you know how that goes. Looking forward to seeing you.

Your ex-therapist,

Miles."

***

"Miles Can You Just Tell Me Now Hamilton,

Yesterday went good, thanks. Was another late night with Teresa and Lauren and got a big day today. Looking forward to hearing what you think of my ex. . .and yes, can't wait to show you around and have coffee with you again. It's been way too long.

What do you mean ex-therapist? Does that mean you think I'm cured now? And what do we transition to now? We've gone from Coffee buddies to singer and his fan, to patient/ therapist. What's left? Does this mean we'll have to try actual proper normal people friendship now?

Look forward to hearing from you,

Nina."

***

I send the email with the usual smile on my face and rub my eyes.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep last night. It wasn't even because of what Joe said. I seemed to be worrying about how I was going to handle today knowing that there was a . . . something with Joe at the end of it. And because I'm still unclear as to what tonight is, I'll be over thinking it all day. 

I need to do something...something big to distract myself. The house is already clean, the garden has Joe written all over it and it's too hot to go jogging or trekking. I'm appalled I even considered jogging or trekking. I must be stressed.

My thoughts are interrupted by a knock at the door and I immediately cringe. If that's Joe, how do I act? What do I say?

I get to the door and take a deep breath before opening it. Teresa stands there with a smile and I sigh with absolute relief.

"Oh thank goodness. Come in."

"Yes, just me. You looked so stressed last night. I came to make sure you hadn't been injecting yourself with coffee all night."

I laugh, despite the stress levels and let her in.

"No, just a strenuous night of staring at the ceiling stressing about what I'll be stressing about today."

"Mmm." she frowns, sitting down "So...am I allowed to ask what happened? I didn't ask last night because Lauren was there and she would have reported back to Alyssa who would have then reported to her dad and so forth."

"Yeah," I nod, turning on the coffee machine.

"You don't have to tell me. I didn't come to find out. You just looked particularly tense and tetchy last night."

"Mhm." I sigh, stabbing at a button. "I've been trying to think of a way to distract myself today but haven't come up with anything yet."

"Right..." Teresa frowns in thought as I try to open the bag of sugar. The bag then rips sending sugar across the kitchen floor.

"Arrrrrgh!" I groan, throwing the bag in the sink. Teresa clears her throats.

"Um, shall we go out for coffee?" she asks, kindly. I rub my head and nod.

"Know anywhere that makes it as good as Romeo, other than the Oxford?"

"I know some that come close. Random side point...why don't you spend the day at the Oxford? You need to do something constructive with something that can't be broken. It needs to be cleared before people get under way anyway doesn't it?"