Chapter 13

I stand over the garden with a look of disbelief, horror and joy.

Disbelief that he had the gall to do it. Horror that he picked this to get me back. And joy that this means war.

Oh boy, does it mean war.

I close my gaping mouth and look around for the culprit. Joe is long gone.

Wise.

After a long-winded, passionate (admittedly one sided) argument about the pointlessness of celery, he's just planted an entire ten rows of it in my garden.  Annoying thing is that it's all seeds and I'm darn well not going to be the one to hunt out every single solitary one of them. Part of me thinks he knew this while doing it. It's been an excruciating two day wait for his payback and now I know why.

Because of the uncertainty of how long I'll be here, Joe decided to take some holiday time to get the garden done. This is regardless of the fact that I still haven't got a number out of him. I may just give him a ridiculously large cheque so he'll give me a number himself. The garden though is looking good and I have been enjoying getting into it. My last couple of nights have been spent fervently reading a very thick book on how to keep a garden. It's a good little book but Joe has threatened to bury it if I use the term "but the book says..." one more time. Now I'm just going to use it to spite him and according to Alyssa, he likes it that way.

"Dad isn't good with words." she explained to me yesterday, as I was washing dirt off my face. "If someone is having a bad day, he comforts by either just doing something for them or trying to distract the person."

"He just wiped wet dirt in my face." I told her with a frown. Alyssa just laughed at this.

"Yes but since you've started on the garden, have you been sad about Adriana?"

She had a point, He always seems to do something when I'm deep in thought worrying about things, though it doesn't take away the fact that I'm planning on getting him back.

I purposefully storm back inside in search of a piece of cardboard.

I spot the coffee machine box and pull out some scissors which I proceed to use to cut out a headstone type shape. I then viciously pull the cap off a marker and start writing.

"R.I.P

Joseph Marie McKenzie.

A much loved Father but even mucher hated gardener."

I slam the lid back on the pen, not caring that "mucher" isn't a word and walk outside with it. I then slam it right in the middle of the celery garden with a satisfied smile.

Now that's done, I can go to the inappropriately named coffee shop to have some peace as I have done the last few days.

Wednesday was a Pear, Prune and Almond cake, yesterday was a Pork, Fennel and cranberry pie.

I wonder what today has in store.

Over the last few days, my mind has continued chewing over what Miles said about everything revolving around my old job and needing to 'find me' and so forth. Therefore, I took another step in the right direction yesterday. I went and got a haircut. A new haircut. It's shorter at the back but my fringe is still relatively longish. I'm not used to having short hair. I still feel as though I'm missing a part of myself.

I haven't told Miles yet. We have talked and I told him I was considering getting it done but I'm hoping he's forgotten.

It was a rather long talk about things. I discovered he has a middle name but he refuses to give it up so I'm guessing it's something like Reginald or Millicent. Until he tells me, I'm just going to keep guessing.