Chapter 27

My dreams were very bright last night.

No doubt inspired by the design plans for the café. Loud colors and patterns littered my subconscious and as a result, I've woken up with a headache. The rest of yesterday was spent taking photo's of things that may or may not be of any help to Milla and over-thinking what she could do with photo's of jackets, wallpaper and furniture, particularly Joe's table which is coming along nicely. Joe told me it's the last I'm allowed to see of it until its finished which is fine by me. I'm very excited about it.

Being one of those kids who was shocking at any subject that involved creativity or imagination, my mind has imploded with what the finishing product could possibly look like.

Leopard print carpet?

Yellow walls with orange polka dots?

Hot pink lampshades that look suspiciously like wigs?

If none of these things went together in my dreams, I'm doubting they will outside them.

***

For the first time in two days, it's properly sunny and hot. The summer I was expecting has shown up in all it's glory and I'm loving it. Knowing I have an afternoon of business card and food sorting with Lauren and the chef, I've decided to take in the solitude of my house, the sun on my deck and greenness of some of my garden.

With my head resting back against a support beam, my face to the sun and my eyes closed, I think about how fast this week has gone. One day, I'm sitting here worrying about going to see Charlie, the next, I'm contemplating home and the oddness of the prospect.

Amongst other things that need tweaking in and around the house, I've been thinking about having a quick paint job done on the inside. As much as I don't want to loose certain aspects of Adriana, I don't want to be living in her house.

I want to be living in my home with my things and my taste...whatever it is. Maybe I'll have to use Miles' expertise, although he still hasn't told me how long he's planning on staying. I don't want to hold him from his travels. He's doing enough for me as it is.

I open my eyes and finish the last mouthful of my coffee, taking in the garden, now that it's starting to resemble a garden again. A few plants that were buried amongst vines and weeds have popped up, not to mention the few un-killable plants Joe has put in. I'm glad it's taking it's time to be done. I think if I had hired a mob of people to have it done in a week, I wouldn't be appreciating it as much.

This is when I notice something new in the celery garden.

Every time I've seen it, it's just been a big square patch of dirt waiting to be overcome with a vegetable only suitable for fluffy animals named Thumper and Bugsy. Now, I see little green tips, popping out their little heads to look at the sunshine. They really do look precious at that size but like anything cute and adorable, it generally grows up.

Although it's celery, it's still the first bit of new growth in my garden, so after putting down my coffee mug and hauling myself onto my feet, I venture over to have a peak.

This is when something else catches my attention. Each little row of green shoots look different, as though...they aren't all celery at all.

I bend down to get a closer look.

Each row is still marked as being celery. Maybe they're all different varieties of celery? I didn't even know there was more than one variety. I look at my watch and frown. I'll have to wait a few more hours to demand an explanation. In the meantime...I'm googling the word celery.

***

Lauren, Aaron the Chef and myself have been here for two and a half hours. Three piles of contacts lay on the tables.