Chapter 25

There are good things and bad things about having ones fridge and pantry full to the brim. The good thing is that you have something to eat no matter what your mood. The bad thing is that when you don't know what you feel like, you're overwhelmed with choices all looking as good as each other. Eggs laid yesterday morning? Bread baked yesterday morning? Cake...cake is always good. I stay there leaning on the kitchen bench staring into the cupboard. 

A knock at the door interrupts me from slowly zoning out so I go to it. At least I know I'm not in my pajama's. I didn't quite make it into them before falling asleep last night.

Joe gives a nod when I open the door to him and I smile.

"Morning." I croak, still with sleep in my eyes. He unfolds his arms and looks at his watch then back at me.

"Just."

I look at the clock behind me realizing its just gone eleven.

"Whoops. Coffee?" I ask opening the door further.

"Nar, had one already. I was hoping to get into the garden but saw it was all closed up and didn't wanna wake you." 

This comment confuses me.

"That usually doesn't stop you."

He smiles a little, re-folding his arms.

"I woke you early enough yesterday. Thought I'd give you a break."

"Thanks."

"Uhhh, I bumped into Tulla...owner of The Kingston."

"Oh yeah? When did you meet him?"

"Lauren and I took Eli and Alyssa out for dinner before dropping them off at the airport and they remembered Lauren, so looked after us. I bumped into Tulla again this morning at the Garden center. Anyway, he told us to pop in for dinner. Mentioned you specifically. Probably because of Alyssa and Laurens' less than subtle comments. . ." I chuckle at this and he just shakes his head, crocked smile in place. "You keen? It's good food."

"Yeah, when did he say?"

"Whenever." he shrugs. "He said it'll be on the house. Think he just wants the latest updates."

"Ah, free food for gossip. Got it." I laugh.

"I'll remind you later in the week."

"Cheers. Thanks."

He gives a nod.  

"I'll just go water the celery then" he says, backing away.

"Okay. I'll be out for a while so help yourself to the coffee yeah?"

"Ta." he nods. "Where you heading?"

"Charlie's."

Joe's face transforms into how I'm guessing Miles' did when I told him.

"You sure you'll be right?" he asks in his ever so rare concerned and gentle tone. I smile at his concern and nod, running my fingers through my fringe. 

"I'm not planning on getting too much information from him. I just want to thank him for the meat and touch base."

He just nods a bit, still looking slightly worried. I roll my eyes.

"I'll be fine. Grief! Remind me not to get you and Miles in a room together. The anxiety levels would be enough to choke on. Go! Garden! Earn your free coffee and cake!"

Joe reluctantly smiles and continues to back away as I close the door, shaking my head.  I wish they wouldn't worry so much. The more they worry, the more I'm starting to wonder if I should be worried myself.