The Girl I Used To Know

Chapter IV

Sweeney Todd now came back to his own room upstairs. He didn't want Mrs. Lovett to see him first thing in the morning when she wakes up. He'd come up with a plan, Toby, only that boy could help him attend to the needs of Eleonor Lovett, she was fond of the boy, she treated him like her own during those times the boy would go to her bakeshop and assist her with chores there.

That's it. He told himself as he finally halted pacing. He then rested his back on the bed, his left arm is now resting on his forehead. Painful memories from the past started to occupy his conscious mind. Blurred memories and faces from the day he and Lucy moved to that very same room; the faces that greeted them with excitement included Mrs. Lovett's parents who owned the place and herself as a young and high-spirited girl. Every afternoon, Nellie would come upstairs to chat with Lucy, she was one of the first to know when his wife got pregnant and celebrated with them together with her parents when Lucy gave birth to Johanna.

Sweeney realized that Nellie has always been there, in their life. She has always been a friend especially to Lucy who treated the little girl like a sister, and Nellie treating baby Johanna as her sister as well. How can he forget, it was that cheerful girl who would always catch his attention with her loud red curly hair which stands out whenever she was with Lucy and Johanna who both had yellow gold hair. He can clearly remember some things now, at least Nellie's face and her snow white skin that shines even more because of the contrast her red hair had provided it. Their young neighbor who shines day and night, his wife, his beautiful wife with a vague face. He can only remember now how Lucy's eyes glowed, she had blue eyes, he assured himself. Her skin was white her hair was golden yellow. He always reminded himself of how Lucy looked like, but now he hates himself for being able to remember that young red- headed girl better but struggled to remember how his own wife exactly looked like.

If only he had known earlier that Lucy was alive... 'What could you have done Sweeney? What exactly could you do for her? She tried to kill herself with that poison and abandoned baby Johanna to escape from the pain this world had given her, she turned insane, she cannot even remember anyone, she became a talk of town being a pester. Some old women even said that beggar is also a prostitute. If you have known, what could you do for her exactly? Announce to the world she was your wife? Make Turpin know that she was alive so he could finally put an end to both of you? Put, Johanna's life at risk when she finds out her parents have reunited and that they are both lunatics?'

Out of frustration he kicked the sheets of his bed. Hell with that Turpin! He just ought to kill him again and again for making his life miserable.

The next day, he went early to Mrs. Lovett's house and prepared breakfast for her. He slowly opened her door, her back is facing him. He just put down the tray of food on her side table and left. He wanted to wake her up but seeing her hysterical again was the last thing he'd want to that day. He can't afford to drive her more to insanity.

Before the lunch time came, he was back with Toby. He instructed the boy to just keep on checking with Mrs. Lovett, and bring her foods making sure she eats them on time.

"It's yer only way to repay her kindness boy...and you're the only one on Earth who can help me with this" he put hin hands on the shoulders of the boy. "Now off you go" he said as he pushed him a little. The boy was holding the tray and walked upstairs to deliver the food to Mrs. Lovett. It was a good thing Toby didn't ask him anything even when he noticed Mrs. Lovett was all so didferent now. He lied to him that she just fell sick and suddenly missed her dead husband that was why she looked sad all the time, Toby just felt bad for Mrs. Lovett. Sweeney seemed to be at ease knowing that the lad did buy his excuse.

Many more days passed and Sweeney could only be thankful that Mrs. Lovett is regaining her self with the help of Toby. He never tried to come near her whenever she was awake but always checks on her before bed, he always checks on the foods he prepares for her and if she eats them on time. Toby has been a really great help to both of them.
'both of them.' He mocked himself with the thought for he knows there was never them, what there is now, is him and her...brought together by the same painful events from the past.

(Hi! I would really appreciate comments! Where are all the Helenaists and Deppheads? This is for you guys and I hope to hear from you soon! Thank you!)