Pulse Within a Pulse

Chapter XIX

Sweeney's heart felt so heavy that he can't get his own feet to walk away from Eleonor Lovett. During the past month and a few weeks since he made love to her, Nellie became the constant and actually the permanent resident in his mind. He can't take her out of his system. It was as if he was born again and Nellie was the first and only one he saw as he opened his eyes.

It was Nellie's skin he can only find warmth from, her lips are the only lips he can listen to and her soul, is the only thing on Earth that is keeping him alive for he can't feel his very own soul since the day he killed the man he was, Benjamin.

Sweeney Todd has no soul, he'd ripped it apart long time ago in his course for revenge. Now, only Nellie's life matters to him. He can never allow himself to rip her soul too, so he has to go away. He has to give her this peace. Not that she can actually live normally again after all this time, but at least, he hopes she can move on without him and overcome her fears in his absence...and continue to live not being controlled by the memories he'd continuously give her if he's around her. He wants the best for Elle, his Elle... Even if it means another heartbreak...another death of him.

He hates himself more than ever because of these feelings, he's been a blind fool to not see this before. He hates himself because even before he could realize that he needed the young virgin widow of fleet street and admitted that he loves her, Nellie was already gone. He pushed her away with fear as he crushed her fragile heart with his metal hands. Now, it is the more painful memories that are left in his mind. Memories of the living love and purpose he has found in this terrible life of his.

Nellie has killed him, she has already accepted Benjamin Barker's death even before he could show her that she indeed helped him to come back to his senses. What is left of him now are the memories of that one enchanting night he'd finally found her and recognized how strong his emotions for her were. That sinful night he made love to her. Now, every small detail about Elle would be stucked in his mind, for she was the only living thing he'd seen since he opened his eyes and breathed again.

He was already at the corner of the street waiting for a carriage he can rent to get him to where he was heading when he heard a small voice shouting his name.

Sweeney turned and saw Toby, his eyes were red, the boy was mad and sad at the same time.

"You killed mum!!! How could you do that to her!!!" Toby ran towards him and hit him on the chest.
"Toby...!" Sweeney kneeled and held the boy on the shoulders and shook him back to his senses.
"W-what did you say?!" His eyes grew wide realizing what he just heard him say.
"You killed mum!!! You killed her!!!" Without much thought, Sweeney grabbed his luggage and ran back to the house. He didn't know how fast he got there, he didn't even feel his feet stepping on the ground, it was as if he flew back to where he left Nellie.

"Nellie!!!" he shouted as he opened the door, Toby was right behind him and there was Nellie, looking lifeless on the floor.
"Elle!!!" he kneeled in front of her unmoving body and to his horror, Nellie's blood were on the floor.
"Elle!!!" He tapped her cheek but she didn't move. He gently put his index and middle finger on her neck as he looked at the terrified boy watching him.
"S-she's breathing!!! She's breathing Toby!!!" The blood was coming from her head. He grabbed the knife on the table.
"Mr. Todd!!!" Toby was more terrified but he can't tell him everything he's doing. He ripped Nellie's skirt and quickly used the fabric to cover her wound.
"Get the physician Toby!!!"
"I can't leave mum with you!!!"
"Toby, listen to me. Your mum will die if we don't move faster! Now quick!!! Get the doctor while I put first aid on her head!" He spoke quickly and carried Nellie on his arms.
"Now, Toby!!!" He shouted for the last time before he headed to the stairs and brought Nellie down to her bed. He then rushed back to the pie shop and took a bottle of gin and a cleaner cloth.
He checked on her wounded forehead by lightly pressing his index and middle finger on where the blood was coming from, when he was sure the skull is intact and has no crack, he immediately poured the gin to disinfect the wound.
"Nellie... Hold on... Please Elle..." He was in the middle of cleaning the blood off her face with the clean cloth when Toby and an old man came, the physician.