The Devil's Heart

Chapter XIV

Days and weeks have passed. Sweeney Todd spent his life doing the thing he was good at even when he was still Benjamin Barker, that is, shaving. He spent most of his hours in his barber shop, waiting for customers to shave, but sometimes, he goes down to check on Toby...to ask the kid how Mrs. Lovett is.
"Mum is going just fine Mr. T. She cooks meals for us, and look!" The boy grinned excitedly as it showed him the vest he was wearing. "Mum made this for me!"
Sweeney Todd smiled at the little fella and combed its hair with his palm. He even calls her mum now.
"But Mr. T..." He saw the glitter in his eyes faded.
"Yes, Toby?" He waited for the kid to continue.
"The thing is, mum is different now."
His brows crossed.
"Most of the time she'd just sit in front of her piano, but she won't play it. She never played again or sing for me. Many nights, I'd climb to her bed to find her crying in her sleep... Is there something wrong with mum, Mr. T.?"
Sweeney's eyes looked at the kid tenderly and he kneeled in front of him. Nellie still hasn't fully recovered. How can she? He asked himself.

"And she never opened her pie shop anymore... I thought it would be better if she continues what she loves to do, but she doesn't make pies anymore."
Sweeney sighed. Must've been because of "Pirelli's meat pies".

"Mrs. Lovett needs time boy. What's important now is that you're beside her. You have to make her feel loved all the time, understand?" He touched the kid's rosy cheek and smiled. "If there's anything else odd, or just anything about Mrs. Lovett, tell me right away, will ya?"
"Sure, I will, Mr. T.!" The boy smiled at him.

Night has come, Toby went back to help Mrs. Lovett with a few household chores.
"Where have you been, love?" Asked she when Toby went inside the kitchen and sat on one of the chairs, his chin on his palm.
"Why so blue, sweetie?" Nellie sat down beside the boy and touched its forehead. "Tell me, is there something wrong?" Toby sighed and looked at his mum.
"I just feel bad mum..."
Nellie's eyes were asking him.
"For Mr. Todd." He said simply, Nellie could not react. Why, in so many evils around the world would her son feel bad for Mr. Todd.
"He'd seen his daughter for the first time in a long time, and now they have to part ways for good. Isn't that sad, mum?"
"How did you..." She was confused. There's no way Mr. Todd confessed everything to this little kid.
"The sailor came to Mr. Todd tonight, he was with Johanna. How evil, that judge Turpin. I hope he burns in hell." He said furiously.
"Toby...?"
"I'm sorry mum, just that Mr. Todd. He seems to be a really good man although he's cold. Now everything makes sense..."
"Come here..." Nellie reached for Toby and embraced him. She just embraced him tightly and kissed his forehead.
Three loud knocks from the door and Nellie let go of Toby.

"I'll get it, mum." Said the kid and ran towards the door.
"Johanna!" He exclaimed. Nellie stood up to check on Toby. Her eyes were lost in different emotions as she looked at Johanna. How beautiful she has grown from the three year old toddler she used to play with to this proper young lady in front of her now.
"Mrs. Lovett..." She spoke softly. Nellie came near the visitors and led them in.
"I just... Want to thank you Mrs. Lovett. For all the help..." She paused and looked her in the eye. Nellie noticed that Johanna just cried. "I've learned everything from dad tonight. I'm thankful to you for everything you've done for my family Mrs. Lovett, right from the start." Johanna held her hand. Nellie squeezed the young lady's hands firmly, as if telling her that it's just ok and that everything's going to be fine.
"I also want to say sorry for all the troubles... Especially when mom..." Johanna's voice broke and her tears fell.
"Hush..." Nellie embraced the young lady, her hand is rubbing its back as it continued crying.
"I can only imagine how much pain my family has brought you over the years. I truly am sorry."
"You don't have to be sorry for me Johanna, it was never your fault. You were also a victim... Hush love..." Nellie's tears are falling now as well, if she can only do something to make Johanna feel better and less guilty for all the things that happened. She and Johanna shared almost the same fate, both their lives and innosence were taken away by those events that is still haunting them now. They held each other while crying for a little longer before they separate, it was Nellie who wiped Johanna's tears before she wiped hers.

"Don't play guilty for all those events Johanna. It was never your fault... You have to live your life in the best way you can... You have to move on and be well, otherwise, your parents' sufferings will be in vain." Nellie said not living Johanna's eyes. She knew she had to tell herself the same words. She knew above all that she needed to hear the same words about moving on.
"Thank you, Mrs. Lovett... I wish I could see you again. You and dad..." Johanna held her hands for the last time. Nellie just smiled.

"We should get going Mrs. Lovett, Anthony and I will be heading North to start anew, with dad's blessing." Johanna smiled as they walked out the door.
"Keep safe, you two." Nellie embraced Johanna again and tapped Anthony's upper arm. They both smiled at her and left.

Nellie stayed outside for a little longer, she just stared up Sweeney Todd's room, somehow, she still feels sorry for him. She still wished that all of these didn't happen and Benjamin would be just fine...with his family.
Finally, Nellie went upstairs to her own room. After the longest time she can remember, she heard Sweeney Todd's pacing footsteps again until she fell asleep with its sound.