8. Speaking Honestly

Ashby sits in Lore's lap during breakfast. Angel whispers to Reegan and Hyun Woo, likely about the incident this morning. And I sit next to Darika, who's smug smirk informs me that she took great pleasure in making a monster out of me. That jerk move feels like something my brother would have done, if he were still here with me...

Suddenly, Draven enters the room dragging a half conscious Cyan by the collar of his shirt. Odd. Cyan constantly wears long sleeves, practically covering every inch of skin even on hot days. Isn't he hot?

Cyan's so tired he actually sits across from me to eat. I'm invisible, which gives me an opportunity, but then Draven whispers something to Lore.

Lore kisses Ashby's temple and likely tells him something reassuring before announcing our departure. The mention of my name causes Cyan to sit up so abruptly that his neck cracks loud enough for all to hear. He doesn't seem to care as he stares wide-eyed at me, then glares, practically challenging me to try talking to him. I would, if Lore wasn't already behind me.

"Wait with Draven in the car, I will join the two of you momentarily," he says, then heads upstairs to change into something other than that accursed robe that looks just as goo--ridiculous from the back as it does the front.

Cyan's spared of my questioning today, but I want to hear from him eventually. More so out of my personal curiosity than the church seeing as they didn't give orders to bring him home. Why did he leave? Why stay here, of all places? What did Lore offer that was so tempting? Is he actually safe here?

After retrieving my axe from upstairs, I head to the front door. Arline waits there. She doesn't speak until I stand in front of her, "If anything happens to His Grace because of you, know that there's nothing the church can do to save you."

I snort. "I'm not surprised that the first words I hear from you are a threat."

"If you were surprised, it'd prove that the church sent the wrong man for this job. Whatever it really is," she growls the last bit, then walks back to the dining room where the children's laughter echoes.

As expected, none believe I'm here for the reason the church stated even if it is a believable cover. They're as paranoid as I am, possibly even more so. I'll have to work hard to solve any case Lore allows me to be a part of, regardless of whether it pertains to my true mission. Perhaps it'll ease their suspicions enough to give me more breathing room. The longer the mission takes the more chances there are for Lore to kill again, if he truly is the serial killer, and if there actually is one.

I hate all this running in circles, not having answers. Out in the field, everything was easier. If a vampire or dhampir killed a human, I killed them. If vampires started a rebellion, I battled against their attacks and searched for their leader. Simple as that.

Draven already has the car running when I step outside. I'm not used to someone opening the door for me so I almost run into him when he goes to do so. Although his expression remains apathetic, there's a glint to his eyes that says he doesn't want to open the door for me either, but does so anyway. What a faithful butler. I hope he's at least paid well.

I slide into the back while adjusting my axe so it sits on the floor between my legs. Lore joins us a few moments later in another extravagant burgundy suit that holds him in all the right ways. He joins me in the backseat that's far too small. When his thigh brushes against mine, I press myself against the door. That does little to separate us or lessen the sudden heat. Do all cars heat up this much when they're driven? I've never spent much time in them, seeing as chasing vampires in a vehicle is never a good idea. They know far more about mechanics than mortals ever will. The machinery that exists today is thanks to them, even though it pales in comparison to what they have in Vexsis, so I've been told.