29. Violent Tendencies

The next morning, my letter to the church sits quietly on the desk. My thoughts are not so quiet. I wrote what I could, which wasn't much. As I wrote, I couldn't deny that Seymour Manor isn't as bad as I was led to believe. I have my grievances, for sure, particularly towards a certain Lord who is always unbelievably frustrating. But that same Lord treats his children well, and that leaves me constantly second guessing. The question remains; is his care true or is it a well crafted disguise? Am I losing my nerve because there are children involved? Regardless, there are unanswered questions, especially those regarding his adoptive family, that I must try answering. I make sure to request more information concerning his family. Maybe I can find a clue.

Grabbing the lackluster and confusing letter, I head off to Lore's office where he has already stated he'd be spending the day. There's paperwork to be done so the investigation is put momentarily on hold, for our part. Lore calls for me to enter after I knock, raising his gaze curiously upon seeing me.

"I've got some business to attend to in town today," I explain and adjust the axe on my back. Lore definitely gave it a slight glare, but he relaxes when hearing why I have it. "Figured I would check in with Jaryl too concerning the investigation. I'll bring back whatever he can give me."

"You're not planning to walk to town, are you?" Lore asks.

"I didn't really consider taking one of your vehicles, but if that's an option, I would appreciate it."

"Unfortunately, both cars are in use today. However, Arline and Cyan haven't left yet. Wait for them in the foyer and let them know that I insist that they give you a ride to town."

I bite the insides of my cheek, then say, "I don't know if insisting will convince them to take me."

"They will. Now go on before you miss them." Lore shoo's me away with a flick of his hand like he would a child.

Rolling my eyes, I head to the foyer where I contemplate walking. Neither Arline or Cyan will be happy to have me tagging along. Admittedly, I rather not tag along with them either.

My assumption is proved correct when the two of them step into the foyer and share exaggerated faces of disgust. Cyan, however, takes it a step further by pointing at me and saying, "Move your ugly mug, my eyes can't handle this sort of abuse without proper reimbursement and hazard pay."

"That would hurt my feelings if I actually believed I was, in any way, unattractive," I respond, causing Cyan to purse his lips and Arline to roll her eyes. Their expressions get even worse when I add, "Lord Seymour has insisted that you give me a ride into town since the other vehicle isn't available."

"Did he specifically say insist or are you trying to trick us? The church is good at that, spewing lies," Cyan argues and crosses his arms.

"Let's not make this personal," I hiss. "Please just let me join the drive. I have something to drop off at a church. I promise to sit quietly in the back and not bother either of you. Besides, don't you owe me a ride, Cyan?"

He freezes like a cat being caught with their paw where it shouldn't be.

Arline leans over to whisper to him, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Cyan was meant to pick me up at the airship station when I first arrived, but I had to walk all the way here. Oh, my feet were aching so bad, but I didn't make a big deal out of being completely forgotten," I explain, grinning ear to ear when Cyan seems to visibly shrink.

Arline rubs the sides of her neck and groans, "Fine, whatever, get in the damn car." She jabs Cyan in the chest with a long nail and hisses, "This is your fault."