17. History Lessons

If someone came to wake me for breakfast, I don't remember. After all the chaos yesterday, I slept in late. However, someone left me a plate of bread rolls and cold bacon on the dining room table that I eagerly munch on alone. Since I'm unclear if Lore went into town without me, I head to his office to check.

Knocking on his door, I'm somewhat surprised to hear him say, "Come in."

When I step in, he chuckles, "That bed head tells me someone had a good night's rest."

I pathetically attempt to tame my hair, although I shouldn't care how he sees me. It's not like I want him to think I look good or anything.

"Did you have good dreams about slaying more vampires?" Lore teases further, setting aside his pen to watch me.

"No, I had a dream about slaying one dhampir in particular," I reply, then get straight to business, otherwise he'll tease me all day. "Has Draven returned with information on any of the suspects?"

"No."

I'd ask him to elaborate, but Lore answers what he wants when he wants then diverges all questions to the shit pile otherwise. I will admit, it's a skill. One I doubt I'll ever possess. And, frankly, I am not in the mood to end up knee deep in shit so I'm not going to attempt asking a damn thing. Besides, he keeps staring at me in a way that makes my spine curl. Like he can't look away or doesn't want to.

"The candy you purchased for the children is in the kitchen. The children are likely at the schoolhouse. Tell them to come to the foyer once you're done," Lore announces.

I don't like that tone.

"Why do they need to come to the foyer?" I ask, skeptically.

Lore maintains an innocent facade. "You'll see when you come with them."

"...you didn't give them your gifts last night, did you?"

Lore leers.

"One of these days my specific dhampir slaying dream is going to become a reality," I growl, pointing at him accusingly. He laughs off my threat and laughs louder when I slam the door shut.

That sly dog! I knew he got gifts for all the kids to make me look bad.

Okay, I admit, I'm somewhat flattered. Purely because I tell myself that he sees me as a little bit of a threat. Like the size of a fly, kind of threat, but flies can carry all kinds of diseases and wreak havoc so he better not underestimate me!

I can't believe I'm comparing myself to a fly. Have I hit rock bottom already?

After retrieving the candy from the kitchen, I drag myself towards the schoolhouse. Maybe I'll get lucky and the kids will appreciate the candy enough not to run at the sight of me.

Arline's voice carries from one of the classrooms at the end of the hall. It isn't until I'm a few steps away that I realize what she's saying to the children; "1000 years ago, mages meddled with magic they didn't understand in a greedy attempt to discover everlasting life. Do you remember what happened from their meddling?"

I ease my way closer in an attempt to peek through the open door. I don't see anyone, but there's basic math on the chalkboard. Likely from an earlier lesson. They must be sitting deeper in the room.

"The Gateway appeared!" Angel proclaims.

"That's right. A tear in the sky that led to another world, Vexsis, where vampires come from. Who remembers what happened next?" Arline asks.

I rest my back against the wall outside of the room. I'm curious to hear what she has to say, even if I'm fairly certain I know. Lore would never teach proper history when it favors the church.