36. Sneaking Around

"We'll split up," Lore says. "There are three floors. You can take the first since it's the busiest."

"Why do I get the busiest floor?" I ask.

"Because you're a mage who can spout a few nonsensical verses and turn yourself into an ugly vase."

"I can do no such thing."

"Really? Pity. Such a missed opportunity. What about some rather expensive but ultimately disappointing cutlery?"

Sighing, I ignore his childish remarks to remind him, "Didn't you say there is a mage working here? If they're skilled enough, they may notice my movements."

Lore's wicked grin is downright infuriating, as is his question, "Implying you aren't skilled enough to hide said movements?"

"I am more than capable of handling myself."

"Then prove it."

I shouldn't let him rile me up... but it's working, and he makes a point. If either of us can sneak around a crowded room, it's me. His trait has nothing to do with stealth. In fact, power absorption and any form of releasing it would easily get us caught.

"We should take an hour to search, then meet back up in our room to order something else," I suggest.

Lore nods. "Agreed. I'll see you in an hour."

He opens the door to step out into an empty hall. I follow him, then head alone for the stairs all the while trying to sense out the mage. Pressing my palm to the wall, I concentrate on more than the sounds, the smells, and the lights. I search for the presence of divinity flowing through these halls, different than my own and being used, which makes it easier to find. Sure enough, Lore was right. There's a mage, but not a powerful one. Their main job is probably only to keep the rooms secured for private conversations. I won't have to worry about casting, which is good seeing as two guards stand watch at the bottom of the first set of stairs.

The guards are easy enough to pass. A simple incantation and I vanish into thin air. I have to hold my breath and move slowly down the second set of stairs to reappear in a dark corner of the first floor. Facing the wall, I gasp for a much needed breath, then slip into the crowd of gamblers and drunks.

Would the owners risk any of these people stumbling onto what they're doing or do they expect a busy first floor to more easily hide what they're up to?

I search and search, narrowly avoiding a few far too handsy patrons. One woman successfully squeezes my ass with enough force to bruise and a man nearly rips my arm out of its socket to drag me over for drinks and gambling, although I don't think he hoped for the night to end there. At least the incidents make me appear like a fumbling patron, desperate to avoid unwanted attention while I sip on some very strong and bitter wine. I'll never understand the fascination and obsession with alcohol. It all tastes like shit or not good enough to warrant the price, in my opinion.

Time ticks away without so much of a glimpse of what we're looking for. Patrons party, and though I spot dealers among them slipping a pill or two from one person to the next, none of it is blight. Regardless, I make note of it to inform Officer Jaryl.

There's barely ten minutes left when I spot a worker hurrying to a pair of guards. They signal for more until a group of five follow the frantic worker towards the back of the establishment. I slip my way through the throngs of people. The guards are quick, almost too quick. I nearly miss them passing through the kitchen doors. A swift incantation accompanied by a very deep breath and I disappear. Servers pass through the doors regularly so I follow one inside. Wouldn't want anyone wondering why the door opened and closed on its own.