83. New Fluffy Friends

"Here I thought you forgot about this," Lore says from where he stands in front of the animal adoption center in Nosa. Cyan and Draven stand behind us, both equally confused.

"We're getting an animal?" Cyan asks. I take note of how his fingers wiggle at his side. He shoves them in his pockets, feigning disinterest regardless of how his eyes sparkle. "I thought His Grace didn't want the kids begging for a dozen of them."

"I tried explaining this to Seren, but he insists that we get a dog." Lore's words make Draven scowl.

"Not a dog person?" I ask the butler.

"Not when I know I will be the one cleaning up after that dog and all the other animals that will inevitably follow." Draven crosses his arms. I swear I see him reworking his daily work schedule to adjust everything to a pet until I pat his shoulder.

"Don't worry, we're going to work with the kids so they can become responsible with the dog." I swing open the door and step inside. When I hear the dogs barking, my fingers twitch too. I won't lie; I've wanted a pet ever since I was a kid. A dog to play fetch with or a cat to cuddle up with by a warm fire. We didn't have them at Trinia. Kids honing their magic plus pets pointed towards potential disaster. I never got one of my own because I lived in the barracks, so this is kind of a big deal for me too.

Inside, there's a small waiting room with a couple of chairs. In front of the door, there's a long counter with a few purchasable pet items and brochures on food or training centers. Two doors are open behind the counter, one obviously leading towards the kennels where the dogs bark and a few cats meow. The other door might lead to a supply room or offices, seeing as a man a few years younger than me steps out of there.

"Good afternoon My Lords," he says, standing tall at the counter. "I'm Harrigan, how may I help you today?"

"We're hoping to adopt a dog that is good with children," I reply, trying to keep my voice level, which isn't working because Lore leans towards me.

"Are you sure we're getting a dog for the children and not for you?" he whispers against my ear. Smiling, I push him away.

"Great, we've got quite a few that would do really well with children. If you would wait here, I can bring out a few for you to get to know." Harrigan gestures at the sitting area. He disappears towards the kennels after we take a seat. Cyan stands around the counter poking through the toys because, apparently, even dog and cat toys pique his scientific interest.

"We're only getting one," Lore says beside me, although his serious expression softens when I take his hand. His gaze drifts around the center, hesitating on Cyan's back then shifting to Draven. The butler has certainly noticed our connection, though makes no verbal mention of it.

"I told you, I just want to be careful around the kids, but here we can..." I interlock our fingers, sharing a smile that makes Lore release a rare bashful laugh. He holds my hand tighter, informing me that I can convince him to get two dogs, if I want to.

Moments later, Harrigan and an older woman with slightly graying hair steps into the room. The woman has a dog on a leash that looks as equally excited to see us as she is. Harrigan remains behind the counter while she walks into the waiting area.

"Lord Seymour," she says, approaching us with the dog that I immediately kneel to meet. "It's such a pleasure to have you here. I'm the owner of this center, Marigold Tenner."

She continues speaking to Lore about doing everything she can to ensure he finds a great addition to the family. And I think Harrigan wants to be a new addition too because he has his attention on Cyan. I take notice of how the worker leans against the counter, smiling charmingly at Cyan's slowly reddening expression. The scientist shifts his weight from one foot to the other, visibly unsure of how to respond to Harrigan's obvious flirtation. But then his lips slip into a smile and he laughs. My curiosity gets the best of me; I look at Draven. He stands tall, hands set firmly behind his back with an almost expressionless face. Almost being the word one should focus on. There's a darkness to his normally vibrant orange eyes and the slightest twitch of his lips that strain to prevent a frown. Suddenly, his gaze softens. He stares at the floor, shoulders slumped forward as if he has admitted defeat before even trying.