67. The Chaperones

Draven knocking on our door to inform us about lunch is the reason Lore and I don't continue our discussion. I sit among them wordlessly. My food's pushed about my plate, seeing as I don't have an appetite. A brief occasional glance from Cyan tells me that I should at least try to eat so I force a few bites of food down. It's as if my thoughts are blocking the rest of my body from properly functioning.

"We're just the ones you all fuck in secrecy," Lore had said. I couldn't deny that, seeing as that's exactly what happened. A hypocritical paladin secretly meets up with a dhampir lord. Now that is a scandal, one that I'm surprised hasn't already made the papers.

I don't know what happens now, what's expected of me and what I expect of myself. I don't know who Seren is, who... Seren Farshine is. When was the last time I even thought of my last name? When was the last time I ever spoke it? I try to recall a memory, but the last was decades ago, long before I became a paladin. I never thought about how the church strips that away; our name. They leave part of it to let us feel like we're still us, but that last name, the one that belongs to our real family; the church steals it. We don't even realize it. I never realized it.

A hand grasps my shoulder. "Seren, we're going up to the viewing bay," Lore says. Draven and Cyan are already walking away.

"Are we almost there?" I ask, stumbling out of my chair. The mere touch of Lore's hand makes my body shiver. Looking into his eyes, I remember earlier, the desire.

"We thought you may want to get a glimpse of the capital," he says. Even his voice makes my heart race.

I shake my head to disperse such thoughts. We head towards the viewing bay. I'm a little surprised he isn't trying to speak to me. Maybe he's letting me think or maybe he needs time to think. Although any thoughts concerning us disappear when we reach the domed room that allows everyone to look out towards Zulia, the capital.

We're immediately shown the difference between our technological advances. The city stands tall and stretches far across the plane, and yet, it does not take away from the beauty of nature. Trees twist among smooth white surfaces of the skyscrapers. Vines and flowers dangle from balconies, moving like rivers or even stretching from one building to the next to almost create a natural bridge. If anyone were brave enough to try it. Flowers hang out of every window, casting the city of white towers in brilliant color. Though that color is slightly off from Earth, all having the faintest hint of red from the light red sun hanging overhead.

Zulia doesn't reek of smoke. The skies are clear as crystal waters. Even from here, I can see the streets below interwoven among the trees. The paths curve so frequently it's clear that most structures were made to sit around nature rather than destroying it to make room.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Lore asks, admiring the clean horizon.

"Yes, it's quite beau--" the word doesn't quite leave my mouth when my gaze lands upon the looming figures standing upon the airship dock ahead of us; Warlords. Giant mechanical suits as tall as a townhouse, technological marvels used by vampires to combat seraphics. They patrol atop the building with a few smaller versions standing inside, their users likely gazing down upon others from their cockpits. The tinted shields across the head of the machine prevent anyone from seeing within.

The captain announces our arrival that was so smooth I hadn't even realized we docked. The rest is a bit of a blur. Everyone moves to grab their belongings. Crowds head for the doors. My eyes squint at the red tinted light outside. It grows closer as we walk among the crowd towards the exit.

"Our ever so sweet chaperones will be outside waiting for us," Lore explains with his hand resting against the small of my back. "Remember to be on your best behavior."