84. Confessions

Cyan POV

"I can't believe Seren convinced His Grace to get not one, but three pets. Something serious happened between them while you were gone, didn't it?" Arline asks from where she sits on the couch in the lounge. I take a seat on the opposite side, turning so the arm of the couch presses into my back.

"Yeah, it seems His Grace is serious about him and Seren must feel the same. He left the church," I explain, expecting Arline's surprised expression.

"He did?"

"Turned everything in while we were in the capital."

"I suppose I didn't see his axe," she mumbles to herself. "I wouldn't be surprised if the church retaliates."

"How?"

"Who knows. Maybe they'll send a few priests claiming we're harboring some vampiric knowledge that brainwashes their already brainwashed brethren?" Arline shrugs. "You never know what their lot will do, just that they're capable of anything." Before I can say anything, Arline leans towards me to ask, "Enough about them, what happened with you?"

I feel a flush burning beneath my cheeks that I wish I could fight back because it makes Arline smirk.

"What happened between you and Draven?" she asks, grinning ear to ear.

"Why would you ask that?"

"Because you immediately blushed, which means Draven is included."

Crossing my arms, I shrug. "Nothing happened. We worked, like we were meant to."

"But there had to be moments when you weren't working."

"Draven's always working."

"You being so adamant about nothing happening enforces that something did." She sits back and waves her hand in a come hither manner. "Tell me. I'll figure it out eventually."

That is likely true...

I eye Arline skeptically. She creates a false expression of security, like she won't be thrilled to hear my answer. I glance towards the doors leading to the hall as if I expect someone to be there, Draven specifically. Last we saw him, he was speaking with some workers about obtaining toys, dog food, cat food, everything we need for our furry friends. We grabbed what he could fit with our luggage today, but it won't last long.

"So?" Arline calls, bringing my attention back to her.

"We spent a day in town. Draven gave me a tour," I say, making sure not to mention what happened during the tour though Arline surely can't miss my accelerated heart race. Remembering the feeling of his hand around mine, the warmth of his body near me, how I wish that could be my norm, that I could actually achieve these feelings regularly.

"A tour," she echoes. "So you went on a date?"

I bite my lip. "No--"

"Saying you spent a day together in town while your heart's racing that fast, yeah, it was a date."

"You know that I don't have dates."

"But you did have one, with Draven no less, and I bet if you actually asked him about it, he'd say it was a date too."

That makes me laugh, at least until the doors swing open and a familiar face steps in. I freeze on the couch, staring at Draven's brilliant orange gaze. His attention lingers on me for a moment, then drifts to the grinning Arline.

"I see that the two of you are already catching up, although we have plenty of unpacking to do," he says.

"You two have plenty of unpacking to do," Arline corrects. Standing, she keeps her back to Draven while mouthing to me 'you had a date with Draven.' I kick her in the thigh. She grunts and scurries away, speaking to Draven when she walks by, "Since you're obviously here to give us a lecture, I'm leaving. Have fun unpacking."