93. Thinking Things Through

"What are the Red Moon's plans?" I ask, retaking my seat on the bed.

Lore joins me. "As of right now, they're continuing to debate on the best route to take. Their current leader is named Ristain and he has only been in charge for about two decades, taking control after his predecessor's demise."

That predecessor must be the woman beheaded by Holland, a champion of the church, after he quelled a rebellion in the south. We were taught stories of that uprising, one where the Red Moon managed to overtake two southern states, destroying cathedrals, calling for vampires and dhampir to join the fight. They expected more to help, but too many feared the church and the Red Moon. Though we were taught that the kingdom was faithful and knew right from wrong, that the people chose the Holy Mother's guidance and withstood the assault.

That rebellion was a big blow to the Red Moon, who returned underground and were often blamed for uprisings, though not always proven to be a part of them. Seems Ristain has kept them on the downlow, likely regrouping and preparing for this. Whatever this may be.

"The Red Moon has been relatively quiet, causing havoc here or there to remind people that they were around, but nothing as boisterous as their previous attempts against the Holy Church," Lore continues.

"And why is that?"

"Because Ristain isn't a fool. He saw how they were overtaken, how they continue to be overtaken, and has made changes. The command has shifted almost completely, previous members replaced and those too violent for the cause let go."

Puzzled, I ask, "Is that not a risk; letting people leave the group with information that could ruin them?"

"Trust that enough has been changed that even if any dared to speak to the Holy Church, they wouldn't learn anything," Lore answers. "It's one of the reasons I chose to assist them. I had been asked before on numerous occasions, sometimes even threatened."

That doesn't surprise me. The Red Moon is desperate to overthrow the church and they were once so violent that they were more like a gang than a revolutionary group. Although the church has always called them terrorists.

"Those who did threaten me are no longer part of the movement. Safe houses have moved. Lines of communication have changed. Ristain has almost remade the Red Moon from the ground up. From the times I have spoken to them, they are more interested in revealing the Holy Church's atrocities rather than committing random acts of violence. However, that obviously isn't the case for everyone," he continues, falling silent for a moment. His gaze drifts to the door, as does mine. Footsteps approach.

"Your Grace," Draven calls, knocking on the door. "Breakfast is ready."

"Alright. We will be down momentarily," Lore says. Draven's footsteps continue down the hall. The soft yawns and giggles of the children overtake the halls as they're all woken up. We hear their small feet hurry across the floor. The chairlift on the stairs hums to life.

"We best join them," Lore says, standing.

"Before we do, what really changed your mind about the Red Moon?" I ask, bringing Lore's quiet gaze to me. "There had to be something that stood out to you, that made you see them as a viable option. I can't say that I see them as one, even when I know we need help, so tell me."

Lore offers his hand, guiding me up from the bed. He slips his fingers between mine, a warm touch that I hope to grow very accustomed to. Though I doubt I will ever tire of it.

"As you may have already guessed, I keep my eye on crime. Draven and I attend to more serious matters while Cyan often goes on appointments of his own. The last few years, we've noticed a drop in missing persons. While still concerning, it has become clear that someone else is paying attention and doing something about it," he explains.