73. The Siblings

With the party happening so soon, Lore summons a tailor to make me a new suit appropriate for the event. Without asking me for my opinion, of course. Since Lore still has work, he heads to the mine alone today while I get my suit prepared. It's strange how normal it feels to wear one, even if the time spent in a suit is nothing compared to all the years I was in a robe. I try to request colors for my suit, but the tailor immediately tells me that Lore gave him very specific instructions. Great...

It's late when Lore returns. I don't even see him, only hear him speaking in the hallway as we both prepare for the event. The tailor's finicking with my cufflinks when he knocks on the door.

"Seren, are you dressed?" Lore asks.

"Yes."

The door opens. I swallow hard upon seeing that Lore has gotten us matching suits. Both are a deep maroon in color with golden accents. Lore has his hair in a high ponytail, showing off his broad shoulders and sharp features. He gazes at me for a long moment, eyes moving over my body that grows abnormally hot.

"Thanks for coming over on such short notice," Lore says to the tailor. "We can take the rest from here. My butler will pay you at the door."

The tailor gives a polite nod and scurries out of the room to follow Draven, who doesn't stop himself from taking a moment to eye us suspiciously through the door. It's clear Draven and Cyan suspect something's going on between me and Lore, but these matching suits are going to confirm those theories. I'm about to bring that up when Lore takes hold of my collar, adjusting it.

"You really haven't gotten any better at wearing suits," he says and rests his hands on my chest. He feels the embroidery along the edges with a soft look in his eyes. "And yet you still look breathtaking in them."

"I don't know about that," I say, blushing when Lore takes my wrist to gently finish putting on my cufflinks. "You look far better than me."

"Oh? Are you complimenting me?" Lore leans in. His every word brushes against my lips. "Be more specific."

"Don't put me on the spot like that."

"But I want to hear." Lore rests his forehead against mine. "Tell me what you think."

"You... you look beautiful," I admit, falling into cerulean eyes that have a truly wicked hold on me. "No one will be able to take their eyes off you."

"Your tone makes me think that bothers you."

"It might."

There's a sparkle in Lore's eyes. He looks like he wants to say something, but he kisses me for a long moment instead.

"Don't fret," he whispers against my lips. "I'm yours and yours alone if that's what you wish."

I kiss him again, unsure of what to say or how to express how I feel. It's strange because I know how to express myself, but it feels different with Lore. I know why. I know that, in the back of my mind, the fear is still there, but I'm trying. I want to try. This is so much more than I thought I could ever feel. A wall once stood within me, keeping fearful thoughts at bay, but that wall has cracked and those emotions have come flooding out. They're drowning me. Lore's drowning me and I don't have it in me to reach for the surface.

Another knock sounds at the door. Which is thankfully closed.

"Your Grace, the car is here," Draven says, successfully ending our kiss. Although, by the way Lore bites at my bottom lip, I doubt this will be the last of the evening.

"We'll be right there," Lore calls, looking over me once more to check for any flaws. He must see none because he steps away. I follow, keeping my eyes on anything but his--damn it all--his ass. It really looks great in that suit. It always looks great, but I might be feeling a bit overwhelmed tonight and--damn it, I'm totally staring. Stop staring at his ass!