13. Banking Records

Lore and I sit in the silent parked car for a solid six minutes and forty three seconds. I've been counting because I swear Lore has never been this quiet for this long. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a health concern. Little time spent together has already informed me that this isn't the norm.

After Suspect Seven left, we came straight to the car where Lore now sits in the driver's seat. His hands rest on the wheel like he's relaxed, but the chill in the air says otherwise.

"It's getting late," I finally speak but do not earn his attention. His gaze remains locked outside. "We've done more than enough today. Let's head back to the precinct and inform Jaryl of what we've learned. It'd be better to leave the club to him, seeing as it may not be connected to Ayden at all."

Lore faces me with an apathetic expression that's honestly impressive. From his reaction earlier, I expected unbridled rage. An actor shows only what they want to show and Lore has been an exceptional actor ever since I arrived.

"He told us there are plenty of ways to get blight. The kind he had didn't even match up to Ayden's. We will look for the killer and some officers can keep their eyes on the club," I continue. None of which Lore seems to be alright with. Something tells me, if it were up to him, he'd set fire to the club right here and now.

If I weren't here, would he actually go through with it?

"You're clearly upset," I add, to which he raises a brow, continuing to successfully act alright. "And I'm sure you don't want to miss having dinner with the kids."

That eases the tension in his hands, enough for him to flex his fingers and likely return the feeling to them. He sighs, then starts the car while grumbling, "Fine. After we tell Officer Jaryl what we discovered, we'll head back."

Oddly enough, a silent car ride is far worse than a talkative one. Dare I say it, quiet Lore feels like a crime against nature. Tack that onto his horrid driving skills and this is an experience I'll never forget, in a very bad way.

"If none of the clients from Confident Cases lead us to the killer, that could mean Ayden's death has nothing to do with the blight discovered at his place. He just had it. Perhaps an estranged family member with a grudge to pay?" I ask, more like whimper from the very sudden turning of the car that almost gives me whiplash. My stomach doesn't feel all that great either.

"Maybe," he replies, but gives nothing more.

I don't bother trying to talk again either. He has made it clear he doesn't want to. Besides, I'm likely the last person he wants to converse with. A paladin of the church who has actively hunted down his kind. To him, I may be worse than those at the brothels seeking exotic entertainment. Brothels like that reside all over the kingdom, all over the world actually. They're a sort of "unspoken tale." Nearly everyone knows about them, but doesn't want to bring up the harsh and cruel truth. Both sides rather lie even to themselves than admit what they truly desire.

We arrive at the precinct where I fill Jaryl in on what we learned. Lore's mostly silent in his seat, only chiming in when I mention watching the club.

"It's likely the workers aren't there of their own volition. Should there be any reason for officers to enter, inform them to be careful and treat the sex workers with care," Lore states in a way that informs everyone this isn't up for debate. Not that I imagine Jaryl would have any argument.

"The club may have nothing to do with Mr. Marshalls' death, but it could clue us in on this up and coming trade of blight and whether it has any ties to the Red Moon group. We have to treat this with the utmost care," I add to which Jaryl nods.

"Don't worry, Your Grace. We'll handle this," he says, then grabs a few papers that were sitting on his desk. Lore retrieves them, holding them out for me to view too. "While you were gone, we did some digging into Ayden's back records. We heard from a family member that he opened a second bank account at the one they worked for. He kept depositing large sums of money that he could not have received from working as a secretary."